Author Topic: Avast becomes unresponsive and will not open  (Read 3938 times)

REDACTED

Avast becomes unresponsive and will not open
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:28:13 AM »
Good day, fellow avast! users. Let me begin by telling you that this is the third time I've had this issue. The issue is simply this: the avast! interface will not open, either by clicking on the taskbar icon in the bottom-right or by clicking on the desktop shortcut. It does not respond to any of my input.

I have contacted technical support about this issue twice. Both times, I was told to re-install avast! and call back if I had further problems. I have also tried repairing avast! by going to Control Panel, selecting avast!, selecting "change" and selecting "repair", and it hasn't resolved the issue. It seemed to do nothing, in fact.

As far as I know, I have the latest version of avast!, but this happened at least one program update previously, too. I'm using an HP Compaq with a duo-core processor, 2 GBs of RAM and Windows 7 Professional. I also use a program called Sandboxie to browse the net as an extra layer of defense.

The avast! Online Security extension is still functioning in Google Chrome, but avast!, itself, simply won't open or respond to any input. I scan my computer regularly with avast! and Malwarebytes, and my scans come back clean. I am not experiencing any symptoms of malware on my computer, either: no pop-ups, no internet connection issues, etc.

I have two separate qustions.

1) What could be causing this?

2) What steps can I take to resolve it and prevent it from happening again?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:36:22 AM by flagjackguy »

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast becomes unresponsive and will not open
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:56:29 AM »
I also use a program called Sandboxie to browse the net as an extra layer of defense.
I have two separate qustions.

1) What could be causing this?

2) What steps can I take to resolve it and prevent it from happening again?
Hi! what OS?? 32Bit or 64 Bit?
What avast! version? free/pro/Internet Security/Premier??
What secondary scanner?
What is the AV do you have before Avast!???                                               
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:07:22 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 07:43:09 AM »
I'm using Windows 7 Professional, as I said.
My system is 64-bit.
I'm using avast! Free Antivirus 2015. The program version is 10.42233 - "In memory of Jan Koubek". (I don't know why it says "In memory of Jan Koubek", but it's listed on my program version.
I have the free version of Malwarebytes as a second scanner, but it doesn't have real-time protection, and does not conflict with avast! to my knowledge.)
Whenever I installed avast! on this computer, I had a clean install of Windows 7 Professional, so Windows Defender was the only antivirus I had before avast!.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:49:26 AM by flagjackguy »

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
First you need to uninstall Sandboxie it may cause problem with avast!.Then use Avast cleaner: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe for remove avast.download avast from http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe .Reboot the system after installtion :)
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:15:01 PM »
My sister in the Netherlands uses avast! and Sandboxie together fine, and Sandboxie is not, I repeat, is not an antivirus software, so please explain how they might conflict. Sandboxie is a software for isolating your web-browser to contain any malware you may encounter online, but it is not, I repeat, not an antivirus software. 

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:40:20 PM »
My sister in the Netherlands uses avast! and Sandboxie together fine, and Sandboxie is not, I repeat, is not an antivirus software, so please explain how they might conflict. Sandboxie is a software for isolating your web-browser to contain any malware you may encounter online, but it is not, I repeat, not an antivirus software.
I am also use Sandboxie.I am saying that "it "MAY" cause problem with avast!".In earlier there was a conflict.So use the final version of Sandboxie.I advice you to use Avast cleaner: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe for remove avast,Then download avast from http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe .Reboot the system after installtion :)
Security Enthusiast

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »

In a similar way that two AVs could conflict - two sandboxes could also conflict, depending on how they actually work as both would surely be trying to sandbox the same thing/s.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »

In a similar way that two AVs could conflict - two sandboxes could also conflict, depending on how they actually work as both would surely be trying to sandbox the same thing/s.
Yes! That is what i try to say:)
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:32:30 AM »
Sandboxie is selective. It only sandboxes what you personally allow. The sandbox option in Avast, to my knowledge, is not available for use on the free version.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but please understand that every single time I have this issue, the first advice I get is to do a clean uninstall and then re-install the product. I've had this issue twice before. I want to know how to prevent this, otherwise it seems like I'll just have to uninstall and re-install Avast every time that happens, and if that is the case, I would have to consider switching antivirus softwares, and I don't want that.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? This way, I can take steps to resolve this and prevent it from happening again in the future.

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 02:43:15 AM »
So you should Submit a ticket on https://support.avast.com and wait for avast! team to reply :)it could take 7-10 (business) days. Don't edit or reply to your own ticket, or else it will be pushed back in the line. So be patience.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:06:15 AM by Be Secure »
Security Enthusiast