Author Topic: Free firewalls, or independent from security suits  (Read 14071 times)

Jarmo P

Free firewalls, or independent from security suits
« on: November 29, 2005, 10:37:10 AM »
Well, we use Avast antivirus, so we don't use no security suits.
We can use only XP SP2 firewall, good for inbound protection as any.

Also software like SpywareBlaster helps. I dont have much fancy in running some resident antispyware for paranoid purposes.

Sygare was a good firewall, really good. Never any problems. You all know about the local proxy issue though. Not so much in Avast, but still a little worry loosing outbound permissions what to let out. More so with other proxies. Other than that it was a great firewall.

Anyone wanting to have copies, still a few days or one:
http://207.33.111.31/spf/

Kerio 4.2.2 is an other one, a good firewall soon non existent.

I have seen others, but they are not like sygate or kerio.
I think them more as "toys". Never touched ZA with it's limitations.

So I wish you keep a copy either sygate or kerio.

Jarmo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Free firewalls, or independent from security suits
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 11:50:13 AM »
Never touched ZA with it's limitations.
Which ones?

Do you believe Gibson? Look what he wrote:

One of the things that first caught my eye about the Zone Alarm personal firewall (aside from the fact that is was free) was that it has always been very clever about handling IDENT's port 113. I recall being impressed and thinking "these guys really know what they're doing". When Zone Alarm receives an inbound connection request for port 113, it checks to see whether the computer has recently initiated any outbound connections to the remote server sending the IDENT request. If not, the IDENT packet is simply dropped, stealthing the protected machine. But if the user does have an existing "relationship" with the sender of the IDENT request, the IDENT packet is allowed to pass through Zone Alarm's firewall protection so that the user's system can respond normally (which usually means immediately returning a closed status for the port). This means that Zone Alarm is a "stateful packet inspecting personal firewall", not just a simpler static packet filter.
https://www.grc.com/port_113.htm
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 11:58:07 AM »
When Zone Alarm receives an inbound connection request for port 113, it checks to see whether the computer has recently initiated any outbound connections to the remote server sending the IDENT request. If not, the IDENT packet is simply dropped, stealthing the protected machine.

Maybe clever, but I hope it can be turned off...

Jarmo P

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:25:57 PM »
Tech, ask the guy in this forum who is good one in making them, to make you a better avatar.
Not liking you to see jump so much. But much better than you used to have.

I know ZA is an ok firewall, just never for me :P

Free firewalls beside Sygate and Kerio and not toys to mess up your computer, hehe. Excluding ZA, too simple :P

I would stick to the firewall even if it dies, than one with problems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 01:55:34 PM »
How? How can I stealth that port?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 02:11:02 PM »
Which router/firewall are you using ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 02:54:20 PM »
Tech, ask the guy in this forum who is good one in making them, to make you a better avatar.
Not liking you to see jump so much. But much better than you used to have.
Can you rephrase? I do not follow what you mean?

Which router/firewall are you using ?
Firewall: Kerio 4.2.2

Router: TrendNet TW100-S4W1CA Broadband Router
http://www.trendware.com/products/TW100-S4W1CA.htm
http://www.computerhq.com/TRENDnet_TW100-S4W1CA_DSL_Cable/TW100-S4W1CA/products/partinfo-id-30372.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 02:57:00 PM by Tech »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 03:32:01 PM »
You should go through all those router options, Maybe you already have that option like I have in my Linksys wireless router. See here:

If not, then you have to do that manually... follow these instructions, it's unbelievable easy:

http://grc.com/port_113.htm

That was the case with my old D-Link DI-604 router, no option in configuration settings, so you have to do it manually. Read everything and you'll find how to do that with your type of router.

This is the screenshot I took from the configuration page of my old D-Link:

You just have to forward that port to some non-existing IP address on your network (out of range).
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Jarmo P

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 05:16:54 PM »
Nothing to do with any firewall if you are not stealthed Tech.
It is your router and I hope sasha helped. Other than that using kerio, deny incoming from system.

Best wishes, Jarmo

Edit: I still dont like your skateboard avatar, wish sasha makes you a better one, lol :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 05:18:32 PM by Jarmo P »

MFB

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 11:27:27 PM »

Edit: I still dont like your skateboard avatar, wish sasha makes you a better one, lol :)

Tech can keep the avatar if he wants to.  Does it really bother you?   :-\

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 12:43:41 AM »

I know ZA is an ok firewall, just never for me :P

Excluding ZA, too simple :P

I would stick to the firewall even if it dies, than one with problems.

The simpler the better.  I don't want anything complicated.

ZoneAlarm is a great firewall, I don't have any problems with it. 

Many thanks to ZoneLabs for providing an excellent free firewall.  The same goes to Alwil, Javacool, Lavasoft, WinPatol, Spybot S&D, ewido & Microsoft AntiSpyware for their superb freeware.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 01:05:25 AM »
Tech can keep the avatar if he wants to.  Does it really bother you?   :-\
I'll use the one Sasha made for me... He rules my avatar 8)

Umath

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 06:20:47 AM »
How? How can I stealth that port?

Simply by dropping the connection.  However, by doing this, you might experience delays in connections with your mailbox.  Zone Alarm has a way to solve the problem through the method you quoted, which seems to have been adopted to some latest hardware firewalls.

As for Tech's avatar, well, personally, I like it.

Raye

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »
Well, we use Avast antivirus, so we don't use no security suits.
We can use only XP SP2 firewall, good for inbound protection as any.

Also software like SpywareBlaster helps. I dont have much fancy in running some resident antispyware for paranoid purposes.

Sygare was a good firewall, really good. Never any problems. You all know about the local proxy issue though. Not so much in Avast, but still a little worry loosing outbound permissions what to let out. More so with other proxies. Other than that it was a great firewall.

Anyone wanting to have copies, still a few days or one:
http://207.33.111.31/spf/

Kerio 4.2.2 is an other one, a good firewall soon non existent.

I have seen others, but they are not like sygate or kerio.
I think them more as "toys". Never touched ZA with it's limitations.

So I wish you keep a copy either sygate or kerio.

Jarmo
Terve Jarmo ykksi ruotsalainen tässä ! Hi Jarmo en svensk här.
I was just wondering what you think about R-Firewall it seems to work well with my lovely Avast. Zonealarm has NOT the compability.

Raye

lee16

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 04:44:02 PM »
You just have to forward that port to some non-existing IP address on your network (out of range)

A good way is to put it 1 or 2 under your DHCP protocal, rather then at the end of it, like grc suggested (in my opinon anyway).

I was just wondering what you think about R-Firewall it seems to work well with my lovely Avast

Not heard of it before, so can't speak from exspirience, however some people here seem to think its a little buggy.

BTW, does anyone understand what "Filter multicast" is, its disabled by default on my router (linksys), and iv always wonderd whether its better for security to have it enabled.

--lee