Author Topic: Backup duplicating contacts  (Read 13567 times)

REDACTED

Backup duplicating contacts
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »
Hi all,
love this backup tool, but its duplicating my contacts time and time again? everytime it runs a backup job  they appear again, so when it comes to restoring them, i have 2257 contacts when in reality i have 100?
can anyone advise how to stop this?
thanks

Offline johnincal15

Re: Backup duplicating contacts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 11:41:32 AM »
This is my first time posting here. I have the exact same issue. Every time it backups, it duplicates the contacts stored in the cloud.

I went to the dashboard at my.avast.com and scrolled down to the backup section, then contacts. It lists all the contacts and I chose delete all.

I then went to app and did an update.

That got rid of the duplicates, at least until the next update.

Hope somebody gives us a solution soon.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:55:21 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline johnincal15

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »
Ok, I went to the link and read it.

Call me stupid, but I cannot see where it addresses the duplicate contacts issue.

I do see that, by default, it will not duplicate the data already restored. So, if I have to restore my device, those duplicate contacts will not be an issue.

I just don't see anything about why only the contacts are duplicated and nothing else is, how to control it, or why.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »
Please read this link ==>

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=135874.msg1155599#msg1155599

I have anounced this problem a few months ago, but nothing is done or changed since then.
This is stil the same, and no real solution is given by Avast.
Only some link where you can find NO solution.

PS: I like Avast since years, but more and more faulty software is released the last years.
After he release of a new PC- version in december... 2 months later now, still BSOD symptoms!!!
Do NOT upgrade untill a realy working version has been released!
Sorry, but in my opinioun, new software can not be trusted until 6 months after release!

Offline johnincal15

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:07:12 PM »
Hi.

As you can see, I posted a long time ago, but nobody responded and I still have the issue.

I am not sure why people have trouble understanding the issue, but I will try again:

The first time you back up your contacts and view the backed up contact items, it is exactly what it should be.

But, if the contact list is backed up again, either manually or automaticallyl and you view the backed up contact items, each individual contact is duplicated.

Example:

Let's say you have"John Doe" on your contact list. The first time you back up your contacts and view the backed up contact items," John Doe" only appears once, as it should.

But, if you back up again and check the list,"John Doe" now appears twice, along with the other contacts.

So say you have 50 contacts in your phone and back up the first time and view the contact items, there are 50.

But, when you back up again and check the items again, there are now 100 items. Back up again and there will be 150 items backed up and so on.

I hope that somebody can help with this issue and not just post something and then disappears.

At least, I would hope that a moderator would pass it on to Avast.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:11:49 PM by johnincal15 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:13:20 PM »
Easy solution (well, workaround is a better description).
Remove the backup before creating a new one.

The link pointed to "Avast FAQ | Avast Mobile Backup for Android", but it seems avast has changed it.

Offline johnincal15

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 11:29:52 PM »
Hi Eddy!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

If you read my earlier post, you will see that I already figured out the workaround.

But beyond that, is there any way of finding out if Avast is aware of the issue and working on a fix?

This issue has been going on for awhile, so I hope that somebody has direct contact with them to find out.

Thanks again!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 11:49:11 PM »
But beyond that, is there any way of finding out if Avast is aware of the issue and working on a fix?
Sure, ask them ;D
https://support.avast.com

Just as info:
avast has recently released AMS 5 replacing both the free as well as the premium version of AMS (4).
Not all previously premium options are included, but at least some of them will be in a next version.

avast has also stopped the backup service.
It is only still available to those who already had avast backup installed.
Or perhaps better said, the data on the avast servers is still there.

Offline johnincal15

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
Hey Eddy!

I shared with you before that I tried to delete my previous contact backed up contacts before I backed up again, but that was awhile ago and now I can't remember how I did it. I think it can't be done with the app and you have to go to the website, but I can't remember where that is and how to get where I need to go.

If you can give me the link and a reminder, I would appreciate it.