Author Topic: DFS under windows 2003 slowing down  (Read 4967 times)

mrrjames

DFS under windows 2003 slowing down
« on: November 29, 2005, 09:48:10 AM »
Is there a possibility that Avast is picking al lot of system recourses when DFS is working.
We have DFS working with 2 diskcabinets and we think/"see" that Avast is slowing down this process.

Does anyone have an answer about this topic?

Thanks for your answer.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: DFS under windows 2003 slowing down
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 11:01:50 AM »
And stopping avast immediately makes things faster?
How big is the slowdown?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mrrjames

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:27:44 PM »
Is is now a realy problem

De slowing down is very. Avast is scanning al the files and when there are many people on the system the system is rebooting. With a bug check we see that the cause is aswtdi.sys

Please help it is a serious problem now because or file/print server is rebooting 2 a day.

Michel

DocOfficeIT

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 12:17:37 AM »
Not using DFS but...
I have been having similar problems with my 2003 server.  Windows take forever to login to domain.  System resources / shares are no longer available over time.  You cannot login with remote desktop or even at the server.  It says Applying Settings forever.  You have to crash the server hard!  To ensure it was Avast, I installed twice and had the same problems.  Initially it seems OK but within a week the problems arise.  After the uninstall the server runs as good as it can. 

We have another 2003 server running our EMR program that is experiencing unexplained slow downs.  Removing the AV product from it tonight or tomorrow.  Will advise on that when complete.

The Avast home version is great but I think they have some work to do on their corporate products.  I really want to buy their software for 6 servers and 125 desktops but could not recommend them at this time.

av-outsource

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 05:44:17 PM »
Hi, You guys might want to start turning off providers 1 by 1. This will allow you to identify the problem provider and allow you to disable it.

However the systems you are discussing; do they use database type files? if so you can exclude the extension the database file use. this will speed the servers backup and stop the overrun crash.

Hope this helps if not well post another message and we will all have a try at helping.  ;D