Author Topic: Program reinstalled by AVAST, icon in system tray afterward but now gone  (Read 5542 times)

Offline bgranat

• Granat Editorial Services
Avast Internet Security was reinstalled by AVAST two days ago, and the icon in system tray appeared afterward. It was rotating and changing color, and I assumed it would just live there from then on. However, today it is gone. I opened the program, however, all seems well. It's good to have visual proof that the program is on guard, so can you please tell me where I can control the icon in the system tray? Thank you.

The help system does not have an index, so I am unable to hunt for an answer there.

Offline bgranat

Re: Program reinstalled by AVAST, icon in system tray afterward but now gone
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:43:06 PM »
I found a post on the forum saying to run Repair, and that's what I did. I didn't have the file it said to look for, but now I have the icon. However, Sometimes it stays one color and doesn't rotate. Oh, dear.

What does that mean? What's the behavior of the icon supposed to be telling me, anyway? Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 11:47:51 PM »
Can you attach a screenshot of the icon when it does that ?

The icon should rotate when it is scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline beegolden

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »
Avast Internet Security was reinstalled by AVAST two days ago, and the icon in system tray appeared afterward. It was rotating and changing color, and I assumed it would just live there from then on. However, today it is gone. I opened the program, however, all seems well. It's good to have visual proof that the program is on guard, so can you please tell me where I can control the icon in the system tray? Thank you.

The help system does not have an index, so I am unable to hunt for an answer there.

I had the same problem recently. I'm no expert but this is what I did.
If you're using Win 7 SP1 Home Premium:
click on the little 'up' arrow in your sys tray > click Customize > you'll see 2 columns: Icons and Behaviors > find Avast! > set the Behavior for it as you want (show icon and notifications, hide icon and notifications, only show notifications). You may need to Restart after this.

If Avast! is not found in the Customize section, and you have the desktop icon shortcut on your desktop: Right click on it and select "Pin to Taskbar" Won't be in the sys tray, but will be to the left of it on the bottom of your screen in the task bar. Not sure if it will show Avast! behavior (spin) but at least you can easily find it.

Hope this helps!
Win 7 SP1 64-bit; Avast, Free

Offline bgranat

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 05:29:27 AM »

It just pauses a moment, really. For months, though, I don't think I saw the icon. But the program appeared to be scanning every night, so I didn't really think about it.

Offline bgranat

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 05:32:15 AM »

I had the same problem recently. I'm no expert but this is what I did.
If you're using Win 7 SP1 Home Premium:
click on the little 'up' arrow in your sys tray > click Customize > you'll see 2 columns: Icons and Behaviors > find Avast! > set the Behavior for it as you want (show icon and notifications, hide icon and notifications, only show notifications). You may need to Restart after this.

If Avast! is not found in the Customize section, and you have the desktop icon shortcut on your desktop: Right click on it and select "Pin to Taskbar" Won't be in the sys tray, but will be to the left of it on the bottom of your screen in the task bar. Not sure if it will show Avast! behavior (spin) but at least you can easily find it.

Hope this helps!

That's a cool workaround. Thanks. As it happens, the Repair functionality in Avast took just minutes and restored the icon. It had been so long since I'd seen it that I didn't know its proper behavior.  Thanks again.

Offline beegolden

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »

That's a cool workaround. Thanks. As it happens, the Repair functionality in Avast took just minutes and restored the icon. It had been so long since I'd seen it that I didn't know its proper behavior.  Thanks again.

you're most welcome! glad that Repair did the trick!
Win 7 SP1 64-bit; Avast, Free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »

It just pauses a moment, really. For months, though, I don't think I saw the icon. But the program appeared to be scanning every night, so I didn't really think about it.

It was more your comment "it stays one color" that attracted my attention as none of the avast tray icons is a single color.

If you have any activity scheduled to occur at night (other than an avast scan) then that activity could result in avast scanning activity. Avast doesn't scan of its own accord outside of you scheduling a scan as mentioned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bgranat

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »

It was more your comment "it stays one color" that attracted my attention as none of the avast tray icons is a single color.

If you have any activity scheduled to occur at night (other than an avast scan) then that activity could result in avast scanning activity. Avast doesn't scan of its own accord outside of you scheduling a scan as mentioned.

I guess I caught it at a time when the pause was a long stretch (relatively) of time. Mostly, it appears to be scanning. What I'm concerned about it that I didn't miss it not appearing in the system tray, though I really shouldn't be bothered about that if it happens again, right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Personally the presence of the avast tray icon is a reassurance and there really shouldn't be any legit reason for not to be there.

Exceptions to this are some other security based applications that can interfere with new or old start up entries.

Whilst the tray icon doesn't perform any security function it is the users entry point for the program. If it isn't there certain things cant be displayed, most prominent of these being alert screens. But avast would continue with the default actions pre-set or customised by the user.

Offline bgranat

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Personally the presence of the avast tray icon is a reassurance and there really shouldn't be any legit reason for not to be there.

Exceptions to this are some other security based applications that can interfere with new or old start up entries.

Whilst the tray icon doesn't perform any security function it is the users entry point for the program. If it isn't there certain things cant be displayed, most prominent of these being alert screens. But avast would continue with the default actions pre-set or customised by the user.

OK, thank you for the information. If it goes away again, I will be sure to run Repair again to get it back unless there is another method that is better. The tip I read for getting the icon back also said a particular file might work, but I did not have that file in my folder. I cannot remember the name.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 11:38:52 PM »
You're welcome.