Author Topic: Firefox 1.5 and Avast  (Read 5005 times)

joensson

Firefox 1.5 and Avast
« on: November 30, 2005, 03:39:38 PM »
Hi,

I upgraded to Firefox 1.5 today. For some choices, e.g. "Show Certificates" under Security..  Firefox hangs and ashserv.exe takes 99% CPU for 5 minutes..  I have seen it in other cases to.

I guess it can be a Firefox problem.. but maybe Avast?.. can someone comment??

regards
Fredrik

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox 1.5 and Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 03:58:14 PM »
I have had no problems with firefox 1.5 and avast from RC1, RC2 and RC3 (which is now the final release version 1.5).

Where are you selecting this option as I don't see it in Tools, Options, Advanced, Secutiry Tab?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 05:17:04 PM »
For me, sometimes, firefox.exe keeps as a background running process (without the interface, the browser itself)  :'( :P
The best things in life are free.

joensson

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 07:12:40 PM »
Hi again,

I use Swedish versions but I guess the (translated) path is:

Tools->Options->Advanced->Security

On this tab, the bottom box says "Certificates"

"When a site request a certificate"
- Atomatic
- Choose every time (I have tried both of these)

Below are four buttons
- Show certificate
- Revocation lists
- Validation
- Security center

The process goes beserk if you choose either of the first three buttons.

If you stop Standard shield everything works again. I use a third party cert management program from my bank.. but that should not interfere with for example "validation".

rgs
Fredrik

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 07:23:16 PM »
My Settings, 1st image, however, I don't have occasion to select any of the buttons.

When are you selecting them, I'm able to select View Certificates (or any of the other buttons) and open one of the tabs, highlight a site certificate and view it with no problem. See image 2.

What firewall are you using?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joensson

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 09:06:09 PM »
more info...

I Use Sygate Personal FW. Disabled Sygate FW, MS Anti-spywhere, most other things.. I also deleted my personal certificates and disabled my certification manager. And of course rebooted.

I still get the same problem when I click the buttons.. I have looked in the Avast logs and most other logs. I can not understand this.

Using Process explorer i made a thread stack dump while the process was spinning.

the following used 99% cpu.

Thread:
Aavm4h.dll!FilterComm_Send

Stack:
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
Aavm4h.dll!FilterComm_Send+0x2db
kernel32.dll!GetModuleFileNameA+0x1b4

Regards,
Fredrik

joensson

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:13:12 PM »
I changed the setting for "Standard shield" from High to Normal.. now everything works ok.

Looking in the tab for "advanced" I can not see whats requirering so much effort just because FF was updated...

/Fredrik

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 11:32:52 PM »
I am glad your issue seems to be resolved.

However, like DavidR, I am unable to see any increase in CPU utilization when I select those certificate displays in Firefox 1.5, even with the Standard Shield sensitivity set to high. 

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 11:25:04 AM »
Me neither.

Anyway, joensson, could you please try one more thing?

In the Standard Shield's settings, turn on the "Show detailed info on performed action" option (it's on the Advanced page) and move the sensitivity slider to High.

Then simulate the problem once more - and tell me what file(s) avast is scanning (there should be a popup window displayed in the bottom-right corner of the window showing this information).

Thanks!
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

joensson

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 07:07:21 PM »
Hi,

Sorry about the slow reply. My ISP broke down and I had to chase them with a chain-saw.

I did as you suggested above and enabled "show detailed info on performed action". After changing the setting Standard Shield to High it was obvious what was going on.

It turned out that my certificate management program creates a logfile when interacting with Firefox. This logfile was being read continousily by the scanner.. I do not know why. Probably the certificate management program opened/closed the file a lot.

By setting the scanner to ignore the logfile directory, everything works OK with standard shield set to High.

FYI: The Certificate management program used is Nexus Personal 4.2.5. This is used by some banks in Sweden.

It turned out that Avast worked excellent as usual. Thanks for your dedicated support!

rgs
Fredrik Jönsson

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 07:16:48 PM »
Thanks for getting back to us and let us know what the problem was (not avast) and your resolution.