Author Topic: Avast Free Antivirus blocks pages on Firefox  (Read 4108 times)

REDACTED

Avast Free Antivirus blocks pages on Firefox
« on: October 18, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
Hello,

When I want to open the page 'www.audiosex.pro' (audiosite) with Mozilla Firefox (version 41.0.2, latest), I get a message from Avast (latest Freeware version) and the page won't load.

Here's a picture of the message:

The strange thing is that I get the same error message while opening a new tab, without a link. Just an empty new tab gives me this error message.

When I open the same page with Pale Moon, Avast doesn't block the page.

Can somebody explain what's happening and how to fix it?

Thanks!!

Dirk
Belgium
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:35:20 AM by man_duc_ator »

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

Re: Avast Free Antivirus blocks pages on Firefox
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:57:02 PM »
No idea about the main problem but the FireFox tab issue is probably to do with the recent version update where new tabs do not open with your homepage any more (that option has been removed :(  ) or blank unless you change the settings.

New tabs now open with unwanted by many users 'suggestion' pane links based on your web site visiting habits. My guess is that one or more of those panes, even the same one, is being similarly blocked and that's why you get that message.

If you want a new tab to load your homepage then a simple way I was made aware of only a few weeks ago is to move the cursor to the tab bar and use middle mouse click (click down on the mouse wheel).

But to stop the annoying 'suggestion' panes in new tabs opened in the normal way unfortunately there's no FireFox about:config fix you have to install a third party add-on now. I use:-

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/new-tab-homepage/

Works perfectly.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 03:14:18 PM »
I'm using the last stable version of Avast and I have no problem opening my home page with Firefox.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »
Cloudflare.com is one of the certificate authorities that is handing them out willy nilly...  So it may have been an ad that was blocked

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
I have the latest firefox 41.0.2 and I don't have a home page assigned, so ordinarily I get a blank tab when I start FF on my win7 system.

The only difference I have on this system is that I use the OneTab add-on and have 13 regularly used URLs, etc. and that tab I leave, all others are closed before shutting down FF. I also have it set to open previously open tabs.

If I remember rightly CloudFlare represented 39% of deceptive domains, http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2015/10/12/certificate-authorities-issue-hundreds-of-deceptive-ssl-certificates-to-fraudsters.html. Probably why we are seeing lots of this in the V&W forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 01:40:27 AM »
Cloudflare.com is one of the certificate authorities that is handing them out willy nilly...  So it may have been an ad that was blocked

There isn't any problem opening the homepage with the latest version of FF. The change is what happens when you open a new tab. No longer can you set those to open your homepage. The only options now , as I have already said, are either to open a blank new tab (option available either via settings of new right side gear icon) or, the new default, one that displays tiled home page links to your most visited and other 'suggested' web sites. 

If one of those web site home page tiles is blocked by AVAST then any new tab opened will result in the error messages the OP described. 

I really think that is the best explanation for the new tab error message with FF. But it doesn't explain why in the first place AVAST+ FireFox is blocking the web site mentioned whilst AVAST+Pale Moon isn't. That is the real problem. If that is resolved then it should also fix the error message/new tab issue too.   

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 07:26:29 AM »
I use FF 41.0.2 with the avast free and avast addon with no problems. Avast says that site is safe and I am able to pull it up with no problems.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
Mmmh, so it's a problem on my pc. But only with firefox.

Any idea how to get it fixed?