Author Topic: How to avoid forced update  (Read 4233 times)

REDACTED

How to avoid forced update
« on: October 18, 2015, 11:39:36 PM »
Avast 2233 crashes all my browsers, freezes my computer, and necessitates a hard reboot. So, I uninstalled it and installed 2215 instead. Everything is fine now.

I changed the settings of the Program Update to Manual Update because I do not want it to automatically update to 2233.

Despite this setting (Manual Update), Avast is displaying this message:

"In order to complete this update Avast needs to restart your computer! A new version of the program is available 2233!"

How do I avoid this update to 2233? How do I tell Avasst to not update the program unless and until I say so???

Many thanks.

Yarok

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: How to avoid forced update
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:47:33 AM »
Hi yarok and sorry about the problem you are facing. Unfortunately, many many new threats come up every day and antivirus company needs to make their software improving with the latest functions and protection. Having the latest virus protection helps minimize the risk of infection. I have been using the latest version of Avast since version 7 and at present, I had no crashes, no crashes of browers, freezes, and etc etc.

Provide info as mentioned below:

a) What is your operating system? Service Pack?
b) What antivirus did you use prior to avast? Did you use your previous antivirus removal tool after uninstalling it via add/remove?
c) Have you had previous computer infections?

If you want to avoid update to 2233 then open up avast and click on settings. On the left hand side click on update. Below the program tab click on the down arrow that tells settings and click on manual update.

Also take note of this https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/06/support-for-older-avast-windows-consumer-version-will-end/
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 04:31:11 AM »
The trouble is, and it has been alluded to by many posters, builds beyond 2218 have a "heavier" effect
on the general system response.  Especially noticeable on older systems.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »
Thank you, StaticGuy. There are at least 3 other threads on the forum which contain the same message: Vista 32, latest SP, computer freezes while browsing with Chrome, Firefox, or Opera.

I have had to force hard boot numerous times. Rolled back to 2218 and ALL the problems vanished. It seems that 2233 and its predecessor are incompatible with Vista 32. This is confirmed by other users on these threads.

Never used anything except Avast free on this laptop. Never had infections (I check with Malwarebyte free as well.)

Avast should pay attention to these bugs. It hadn't fixed them in the last 2 versions - hope it does in the next one.

Many thank yous.

Yarok

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
Avast 2016 is currently in beta. When it comes fully available i.e. final version you should install the Avast 2016. Since Avast 2016 is a major version, I suggest you to do the same. Uninstall avast via add/remove and follow the instructions, use and run the avast uninstall utility in normal mode and the tool will ask you that it will run your computer in safe mode click yes and follow the instructions, after that download and install a fresh copy of Avast 2016 and once it get installed it will do a quick start up scan. Once scan finished, restart your computer manually.

Hope you give Avast 2016 a try when it gets the final version. Been using Avast myself for many years since release of version 7 and it hasn't let me down in any way. Avast is compatible with Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or higher, any Edition (except Starter Edition), 32-bit or 64-bit

Your welcome :)
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 04:45:54 PM »
The trouble is, and it has been alluded to by many posters, builds beyond 2218 have a "heavier" effect
on the general system response.  Especially noticeable on older systems.

So now that avast 2016 is out does it work with vista 32 bit an OS that is still supported by Microsoft? There are no fixes for this problem indicated at the release notes post? Is it really okay now? I can almost understand it not working on XP but vista 32 bit an OS that is still supported by Microsoft? Maybe a post and warning on install update notes indicating not to update to versions of avast beyond 2218 if you are using XP or vista 32 bit or would that be to controversial for Avast to admit to/allow?

I'm almost afraid to even try avast 2016. It has more stuff to go wrong.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
Why not create a image of your drive and update to 2016 ?
2016 works on XP (SP3?) and newer OS's.

Offline Tangy

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »
Hitherto I have not had any problems at all.
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit