Author Topic: avast 4.x home license key on IBM  (Read 6300 times)

larryfil

avast 4.x home license key on IBM
« on: December 21, 2005, 09:33:19 AM »
I am trying to help a friend enter his license key for avast 4.6.739 on an older IBM Thnkpad laptop but he keeps getting an "invalid" message.  Any ideas on the problem?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: avast 4.x home license key on IBM
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 10:00:46 AM »
Are you using the copy'n'paste method? (it's the most reliable one). Also, are you using the whole key (i.e. isn't it clipped)?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

larryfil

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 10:06:44 AM »
He forwarded the original email from Outlook Express on his desktop to AOL on his laptop and is copying and pasting from there to the app on his laptop.  A friend of mine told me that avast won't work on IBM and that is why I posted the original query.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 10:16:33 AM »
Avast should definitely work on any PC (Windows-based) so that's certainly not an issue...

Is the registration email recent? I mean, isn't it e.g. a year old? When did he register the program?
Can you post the key (only the part before the dash)?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

larryfil

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 10:23:46 AM »
I don't have the info right now.  I'm sorry but I didn't expect to get such fast service.  I may have to go to his house myself to ensure that the copy/paste is done correctly.  As long as I now know that the IBM question isn't a problem I will pursue it a bit further myself.  He may have gotten an old email and that's why it isn't working.  I'm not sure so I need to follow up on that.  I will do so and then get back to this chain if I need additional assistance.  Thank you for the prompt replies.

larryfil

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 08:19:48 AM »
It turns out it was a copy/paste problem and once I got that straightened out everything worked just as it should.  Thank you for the prompt replies and the assistance.