Author Topic: What is this strange systray icon??  (Read 15004 times)

jitnimby

Re: What is this strange systray icon??
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 03:07:40 AM »
I have the same problem as the originator of this thread, every now and then, the email scanner icon appears with a strange Ip address.  However, i also get a internet connection timeout from avast with the IP address on port 110 but the originating program is shareaza.exe.  There was a previous post where shareaza was mentioned, i would like to know if i should answer yes or no to the timeout window, but it would seem that this problem may be linked to shareaza.

OS - Win2K (upto date)
Firewall - Zonealarm 6.1.737.000
Avast - 4.6.739

Just updated to avast version .744 will inform if problem continues
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 03:23:26 AM by jitnimby »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: What is this strange systray icon??
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 04:39:34 AM »
If you see IP addresses that are unknown to you then that should raise a red flag and prompt you to investigate further. 

Are you getting a timeout message from avast! or just seeing these strange addresses?  If you are getting a timeout message what are the exact contents?

Tech has advised in this thread how to generate a more detailed log of your connections to the ports scanned by the Internet Mail provider.  It would probably make sense for you to follow that advice for a while and check the log to see what connections your system is making.