Author Topic: Keyloggers  (Read 9510 times)

Daffy

Re: Keyloggers
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 01:51:42 PM »
> FreewheelinFrank.

No hard feelings  :) And I should be smart enough to realize that if any keylogger pressent, then its bad for me.

> Tech.

Explain Dispositives. My system is in Danish and I can´t figure out Dispositivs.
I have a screenshot of what I think you want, but I don´t seem to be able to post it. It´s not to big. So how do I post it.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 02:40:56 PM »
Hello Daffy,

Well some malicious users are too clever to get caught. When you use a legitimate program or packer or tool for malicious purposes (reverse it), the regular AV products cannot help you. You have to log and monitor yourself against that. If the admin is sloppy and has not changed the name of the keylogger by default, you can look it up on the net (Google after this). They always have some advance over you 'though. For instance there is a good Dos application of 12 kb that I have on a diskette, I install this firewall on your workstation and it runs under Dos and blocks ports for certain services. It is very hard for you to find it, only if you have fully monitored your OS with all the hashes and all the registry, you stand a chance. Regular programs cannot alert against misuse of other regular programs, even if it is adware, they find themselfs in court like with ZoneAlarm and 180solutions was the case. So prevention is always better than to cure a situation. Use SSM, system monitoring and checksum programs, know what is running on your comp, there are sites on the net listing every exe and dll as such, checksums included as the man intended the program.

Use no script, because script runs on your machine and tells whatever it finds on your machine, and inside your browser. Recently we saw a lot of non-intentional installs of spyware and adware in Firefox, because people misinterpret a pop-up like "click here to continue" for a genuine MS prompt, IE with SP 2 is slightly better protected there. Know what you are doing, and "put AVAST po tanken",

greets from near Rotterdam,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Daffy

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 03:57:24 PM »
To make a log. Will "HijackThis" be any good for this.

Anyway. I guess it´s a constant battle. Never stopping.

I always try to be careful, but sometimes you ( read.. I ) get tempted to bypass your ( my ) own policy.  ;)

>polonus  "put AVAST po tanken" .... is that Dutch.  Like.... " Have Avast in mind "

Greetings from Daffy, not so far from Copenhagen.

Eltoran

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2005, 07:31:28 PM »
There are only two situations where you would find a keylogger which was installed 'legally': on a private computer where you installed it yourself to monitor another user (or another user installed it to monitor you!), or on a work computer where an employer has installed it to monitor you. (Both instances may not be so 'legal', of course- monitoring the kids may not be a problem, but monitoring your spouse or employees without permission is another kettle of fish.)

The keylogger mentioned by Eltoran is certainly not anything legitimate- it's part of a Trojan horse.
Well, it CAN be part of a trojan horse (from checking all the links about that .dll I posted), it is also used for some other stuff.  The only way I knew it was there was from my own program which keeps md5 checksums of all 'official' files in the windows directory, and points out new additions..

It does prove a point though that Avast doesn't detect it, or maybe it does and it is not reporting it, but in all cases, it should.  The same goes for rootkits, and anything else that has the ability to spy on you.

Kinda silly if you ask me that someone can charge some $$ for a keylogger, and just because they charge for it (making it 'legal'), that makes it a OK program to be on your system, so Avast ignores it.  ???

Eltoran

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 11:58:11 PM »
I was just wondering, do I get any feedback at all about the file I sent to that e-mail address?  A simple auto responder of "We got it" is good enough...

All I got was:
-----
    **      THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY      **
    **  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE  **

The original message was received at Sat, 3 Dec 2005 01:59:21 +0100
from
[snip]
divis... Deferred: local mailer (/usr/bin/procmail) exited with
EX_TEMPFAIL
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old
[snip]

So I don't know if it even got delivered.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 12:17:19 AM »
Generally you will only be contacted if they require further information.

I have always assumed that if I don't get an email bounce that it got through.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security