Author Topic: ‘Load Avast services only after loading other system services‘  (Read 3697 times)

REDACTED

I believe some of you have ticked this is have a faster boot-up. Any regrets so far? Please indicate how long you've done this.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: ‘Load Avast services only after loading other system services‘
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »
1. Any regrets so far?
2. Please indicate how long you've done this.
1. Nope.
2. For many years.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »
I believe some of you have ticked this is have a faster boot-up. Any regrets so far? Please indicate how long you've done this.

Personally this won't make that much difference as it is only going to wait for system services not all services and that shouldn't make that much difference. I would say the differences would be counted in seconds not minutes.

The reasoning for this if my memory is correct is avast needs some services to be running already if it isn't then it has to hang about until it is available. So you would only be doing this is you were experiencing some sort of hang, which would probably result in an error of sorts. This would probably be in the Windows Event Viewer logs.

Personally I have never set this in over 11 years of using avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
I often wondered if avast itself is scanning the update process and slowing it down, eg. instup.exe
in \Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup.  (windows XP path)

As a test, I've added the whole of the setup folder to the file shield exclusions.
Seems to help, but it may be a placebo effect.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »
The reasoning for this if my memory is correct is avast needs some services to be running already if it isn't then it has to hang about until it is available. So you would only be doing this is you were experiencing some sort of hang, which would probably result in an error of sorts. This would probably be in the Windows Event Viewer logs.
Not because it would be scanning all those stuff?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
Not because it would be scanning all those stuff?

No and 'all that stuff' you mention wouldn't actually be that much.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
You could be right, but if that's true, it doesn't seem to make sense that the difference in boot time should be that great.

Anyway, I got what I wanted here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 02:40:14 PM »
I have never really had slow boots even on this old XP Pro SP3 system and I have been using avast for over eleven years on various systems. This particular system even though old (about 6 years) still has a reasonable specification (CPU & RAM) and avast hasn't really impacted that.

What we don't know is anything about your system specification and any other security based software ?

You might also want to check those programs that when installed want to run on boot, even if they aren't required that early. Typical of those types of program are media players, they only need to run when you want to play media files.