Author Topic: service created with no supporting file: vboxaswdrv  (Read 5128 times)

Offline LagunaJim

service created with no supporting file: vboxaswdrv
« on: October 27, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »
Running Avast Free beta 4 on Win10x64:

Was reviewing my event log and I noticed that Avast apparently had created a Service entry for "VBoxAswDrv", and the error was that the specififed file was not found.

The service file it wanted to start was supposed to be located in \Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\NG.

To resolve the issue I deleted the service entry from Windows since I don't even have an "NG" folder, let alone that particular service file.

/jim

Offline davexnet

• Poster
Re: service created with no supporting file: vboxaswdrv
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 07:10:03 PM »
I've seen this also - suspect something in the code hasn't been cleaned up properly.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
Could anyone from Avast reply what to do with this issue, please?

I have also the driver VBoxAswDrv with the missing image (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\vbox\VBoxAswDrv.sys). And the service AvastVBoxSvc also with the missing image (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\vbox\AvastVBoxSVC.exe).

The problem is that both registry keys are somehow protected and I can't delete them even elevated as an administrator.

It's possible it doesn't cause any problems, but I don't like such remnants in my system.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »
Not much use to post in a 9(!) month old dead thread as many things have changed since then.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »
The problem is that both registry keys are somehow protected and I can't delete them even elevated as an administrator.
You need to disable Avast self-defense first.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 01:39:57 PM »
You need to disable Avast self-defense first.

Great, you're right. I didn't know about that setting. I was able to remove both the service and the driver after disabling of that setting.

Do you know why those two components were still there? Were they just remains after any previous versions the installer failed to remove?

And do you know any details about how virtualization (e.g. the sandbox) is implemented now? Was the solution with VirtualBox abandoned?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
This was part of the NG system of virtualisation on the users system. Many found that their system was either not up to the task of running NG or slowed the system down.

Avast has now implemented a system that is avast cloud based, CyberCapture, so the scanning/virtualisation is done in the cloud, with little impact or no on the users system. See https://blog.avast.com/cybercapture-protection-against-zero-second-attacks for more information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security