Author Topic: SERIOUS problems with anti-theft  (Read 2142 times)

REDACTED

SERIOUS problems with anti-theft
« on: October 27, 2015, 11:35:09 PM »
I'm going to try to stay calm asking this, beings as how I'm beyond fuming at this problem. My phone's been acting really flakey past week or so, every now and then performing a vibrate for no reason at all. I've even checked my running applications and nothing out of the ordinary (mostly just My Data Manager and AVAST running). Today about an hour and a half ago, my phone rebooted, came to the lock screen and started BLARING a siren and stating "this phone (my phone) is stolen". Beings as how the phone is like in three layers of casing for protection, I had to listen to this screeching alarm (at work none-the-less) while I disassembled the thing to yank the battery out. Not only embarrassing but frustrating. I logged into the web site, and sure enough, not one thing indicated the phone was stolen. I decided the phone was probably trying to "phone home" to the AVAST site, so I removed the device from the site. But it's still occurring. My phone is COMPLETELY jacked now! I don't seem to have any recourse to get this thing the hell off of my phone. Even if I wanted to (which I seriously don't -- -way- too much data), I can't even do a factory reset. Surely, there must be a way to solve this? I should note, I am without a phone right now because of this; so some sort of expediency is really really needed.

EDIT: Also, I tried my pin that I know is correct and it keeps saying Incorrect PIN
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:37:49 PM by Brandon65 »

Offline bigwilly_312000

Re: SERIOUS problems with anti-theft
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:40:44 AM »
I'm going to try to stay calm asking this, beings as how I'm beyond fuming at this problem. My phone's been acting really flakey past week or so, every now and then performing a vibrate for no reason at all. I've even checked my running applications and nothing out of the ordinary (mostly just My Data Manager and AVAST running). Today about an hour and a half ago, my phone rebooted, came to the lock screen and started BLARING a siren and stating "this phone (my phone) is stolen". Beings as how the phone is like in three layers of casing for protection, I had to listen to this screeching alarm (at work none-the-less) while I disassembled the thing to yank the battery out. Not only embarrassing but frustrating. I logged into the web site, and sure enough, not one thing indicated the phone was stolen. I decided the phone was probably trying to "phone home" to the AVAST site, so I removed the device from the site. But it's still occurring. My phone is COMPLETELY jacked now! I don't seem to have any recourse to get this thing the hell off of my phone. Even if I wanted to (which I seriously don't -- -way- too much data), I can't even do a factory reset. Surely, there must be a way to solve this? I should note, I am without a phone right now because of this; so some sort of expediency is really really needed.

EDIT: Also, I tried my pin that I know is correct and it keeps saying Incorrect PIN
look up your phone model on the internet, there is usually more than one way to do a
factory reset on a smartphone.

REDACTED

Re: SERIOUS problems with anti-theft
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:20:13 AM »
Ok, there appears to be a way to do a factory reset without going through the Android user interface (it's through the recovery menu). However, I am REALLY hoping Avast has a way to get this fixed without a factory reset. I have way too much stuff on this thing that thanks to Samsung and Google not letting you save on SD cards anymore since they've been busy little workers on systematically breaking SD card storage.

REDACTED

[SOLVED] Re: SERIOUS problems with anti-theft
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 01:55:48 AM »
Ok I got it. There was actually two PIN entry screens, one that looked like a generic one (Looked almost like the stock Android one, which I use a fingerprint, so there would be no PIN) and then the AVAST one. By riding out the siren while going into the second one and typing it in there, it worked. Needless to say, AVAST anti-theft is no longer on this device and I'll be looking to another solution for at least that portion. It shouldn't have gone off in the first place. I didn't flag it, and there was no indication (from the website) that it was "stolen" (so it's not like someone had gotten a hold of my account credentials and flagged it).