Author Topic: Update Settings?  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Update Settings?
« on: October 31, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »
I have the program update set to "notify" and not auto-update.
Whenever a new release is pushed out it still does an auto-update.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Update Settings?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
Doesn't happen here, but Dave has the same problem, afaik.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
I have the program update set to "notify" and not auto-update.
Whenever a new release is pushed out it still does an auto-update.  ???

It has happened on numerous occasions and I have posted it in the forums many times. The reason given by avast was that they wanted an many beta testers as possible, but pushing it out like this is more likely to reduce the numbers when my notify of update gets totally ignored and it gets set to Auto.

I have no problem testing betas but the timing has to be under the control of the user so they can determine when to update and restart. After every update I set it back again.

Avast suggested setting it to Manual Update, which kind of defeats the point and is the total reverse of wanting as many beta testers as possible.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
Thanks! Nice to know I'm not the only one.
I totally agree with David, forcing beta updates is asking for fewer beta testers.
Each year I look forward to the avast beta test(s) since I enjoy "bug hunting".
This year there wasn't as many bugs as in the past. Pretty boring beta test this year.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:04:57 PM »
<snip>
Each year I look forward to the avast beta test(s) since I enjoy "bug hunting".
This year there wasn't as many bugs as in the past. Pretty boring beta test this year.  8)

Not for me from the 10.4.x and 2016 betas have been the worst for me in over eleven years of avast.

System lock-ups, HTTPS browsing (uk.yahoo.com and the forums being the main areas effected), memory errors when using MS Excel, I have stopped MBAM Premium, to make sure there is no possibility for conflict.

I have also suffered from the system not seeming to come out of sleep - just have my background (just blue colour) displayed. Mouse works (wireless laser), keyboard doesn't, with one exception the shutdown button.

These problems occurred at an early stage and and none appears to have been completely resolved. System lock-ups have lessened, but haven't gone away completely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security