Author Topic: Color inconsistency of Free version GUI...  (Read 4054 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Color inconsistency of Free version GUI...
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »
Free version has a very inconsistent interface, color wise. The main panel is white, but when you click the gear button to open settings, dark panel opens up.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Color inconsistency of Free version GUI...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
For me this UI is no real difference to avast 2015 other than the home page and as such I wouldn't call this a UI upgrade.

This is being called a more intuitive UI when literally nothing has changed and what is there isn't very intuitive.

People still have trouble finding things in the underlying pages of the UI (which is avast 2015) and the home page being basically icon based isn't particularly intuitive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 08:53:56 PM »
As a starting developer I can say such UI is not intuitive at all. Lot of settings are just hidden and it hard to find them (for ex. the virus chest is under scan settings (well, you can use the tray menu but nobody expected it there I think)).
The icons on the main page is a good decision but there should be more options such as virus chest, update and virus definition & program version info (maybe smth else).

Also it would be great if avast will notify user about scanning USB pen drive when it was plugged in (when I plug my pen drive into laptop it takes some time to scan it and I can't use it during the scan). I found it very useful in Qihoo 360 Total Security.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
As a starting developer I can say such UI is not intuitive at all. Lot of settings are just hidden and it hard to find them (for ex. the virus chest is under scan settings (well, you can use the tray menu but nobody expected it there I think)).
The icons on the main page is a good decision but there should be more options such as virus chest, update and virus definition & program version info (maybe smth else).
<snip>

One of the useful things has nothing to do with the UI, but the option to access the Virus Chest from the avast tray icon. Unfortunately they stopped there, when it was hoped that this tray icon context function was going to be completely revamped and make greater access to more areas.

I agree if you are going to do down the route of the using icons and styling on the first page, surely it should follow through on subsequent pages, it just looks like the job is only half done.

EDIT: typo.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:56:16 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 11:21:47 AM »
I am a big fan of Avast and has been using it for the past 4 years but I really don't see what's "intuitive" about this new GUI! I agree with you guys and I hope that Avast team do something about it.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 04:18:19 PM »
<snip>

One of the useful things has nothing to do with the UI, but the option to access the Virus Chest from the avast tray icon. Unfortunately they stopped there, when it was hoped that this tray icon context function was going to be completely revamped and make greater access to more areas.

I agree if you are going to do down the route of the using icons and styling on the first page, surely it should follow through on subsequent pages, it just looks like the job is only half done.

EDIT: typo.

I'd certainly like to see at least also direct access to Settings panel from tray menu...

As for the GUI, yeah, nothing really changed. All the same old features under a new skin. They haven't even bothered to improve HIPS settings which are absolutely terribly designed. They just copied them over from v2015. I don't get it what's the point of doing this if nothing really changes. Just change the bloody year number and get on with it. People are dumb in general (no offense ppl), they won't notice the fact that it's all the same if the year number will be a correct one (2016 in this case).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog