Author Topic: AMS 5.0.0: beta or release?  (Read 5950 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
AMS 5.0.0: beta or release?
« on: October 28, 2015, 04:41:50 AM »
Version 5.0.0: is it beta or release? Why I can't find anything about it in the forum? I've just read about it in another forum and the description there seemed me very unusual. They say AMS 5 has new GUI, but it hasn't the firewall anymore and you can't access Anti-Theft either. Where's the truth? Where's the information? Why should I learn about new versions and features from third-party sites?
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: AMS 5.0.0: beta or release?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
Version 5.0.0: is it beta or release? Why I can't find anything about it in the forum?
Hi George, see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=131294.msg1262260#msg1262260
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:27:44 AM »
Thanks, but what about that:
it hasn't the firewall anymore and you can't access Anti-Theft either
More and more users start saying that they will abandon AMS if it hasn't the firewall and Anti-Theft controls.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 05:38:39 AM »
You're welcome. Well, it's only the first beta, let's see what's coming...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline hermansky

• Avast team
  • Product Manager - VPNs
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
Hi guys, this is really beta as is mentioned in linked post above. Trust me, it was hard to decide that Firewall or Network meter will be pulled out (at least for now), but we had to do it. Feature usage was so small (under 1% of userbase) so we've decided to improve for now most popular features as Wi-Fi security, Call Blocking or App Locking.

I don't say we never put Firewall back again, but for upcoming months we have more interesting stuff in roadmap... Stay tuned!

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Tried it and was not happy too. Interface maybe hit and miss, too simple for me, but material design is a plus. But... My premium license was not accepted, task bar icon gone, only notification center left, menu order is strange. It is only my opinion but serious security product just became plain and basic. Opted out from BETA after one day, I like current version more and I am not sure I will be happy a lot to upgrade later...  ???

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 02:36:51 AM »
Hi guys, this is really beta as is mentioned in linked post above. Trust me, it was hard to decide that Firewall or Network meter will be pulled out (at least for now), but we had to do it. Feature usage was so small (under 1% of userbase) so we've decided to improve for now most popular features as Wi-Fi security, Call Blocking or App Locking.

I don't say we never put Firewall back again, but for upcoming months we have more interesting stuff in roadmap... Stay tuned!
I'm not sure that cutting out Firewall and Anti-Theft controls is the best way to improve the application. It will drastically decrease the number of AMS users and the application's rate.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »
Hi YLAP,

the license is not needed for beta, all is free. Task bar icon has a lower priority, so it's not that disturbing. I suppose some people like it there, but most people don't. We chose this as the default and the priority will go up once we have something important to tell the user, like there're some issues found, etc. That way it'll be more apparent that this is something that requires users attention. What we might also do in the future is make the priroty customizable, but for now, we try to keep it simple.

As for the menu order, and other visual changes, that's why we're doing this beta first, because those changes are so big we couldn't possibly know before how people will react. Imho security product doesn't need to have thousands of settings and buttons, because then normal people will get scared of using it. Like I said, better start simple, so everyone can use it, and then carefully add more options, but not become a bloatware.

I hope you'll try it again soon :)

Ondra

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
Maybe with BETA 2 :) I think it was to early for me, a lot of changes :D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 12:39:11 AM »
While I currently can't use firewall since I can't root the phone, it was a phenomenal feature that I loved on my Galaxy S2. It's a shame seeing it gone...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
Personally, I think a no-root Firewall would make much more sense :)