Author Topic: TERMINAL SERVER....BUNG!  (Read 5788 times)

MrEldorado

TERMINAL SERVER....BUNG!
« on: December 05, 2005, 07:36:32 AM »
Well, before AND after your recent change to the managed 'server' client, installing Avast! on my Windows 2003 Terminal Server renders it unusable.

The server runs Windows 2003 RTM with all hotfixes but not upgraded to SP1 yet.  The installation of Avast! results in no user being able to connect via RDP, likewise server console response crawls along and the only way to get the product removed is safe mode.  After the removal I get an error message about a missing DLL starting Outlook and I get prompted about the attempt to open a .bak file with an Avast! prefix (will post separately in this thread) everytime I log in.

How can I clean up the old install for starters and how can I get this or even your stand-alone server client running on this machine without it hampering normal usability?

Sigh...yet, another problem...can I get some help working it out?

Dave

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: TERMINAL SERVER....BUNG!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 07:45:23 AM »
First, is this with the default settings? E.g. the Standard Shield's sensitivity?

Also, is this a new install or an update of the previous version? And the previous version behaved the same?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MrEldorado

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 07:59:53 AM »
yes....default settings....first with the July build and the same behavior with the build from Saturday

that startup error is

Windows cannot open this file:

AvBatExW.bav

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 08:38:07 AM »
:o When exactly is this error displayed?

It comes from TheBat! plugin. TheBat! is a mail client program and avast has a special plugin. It is not installed by default, though. Did you select it when installing avast?

Anyway, even if you did install it, I see no connection to the lockups or other problems you're describing...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MrEldorado

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »
OK...what is the recommended means by which to install on a Windows 2003 Terminal Server running in application mode?  What providers can safely be run on the system when I have an average of 50 concurrent users?