Author Topic: Avast blocking Grabit! and access to newsgroups..  (Read 10458 times)

Julian813

Avast blocking Grabit! and access to newsgroups..
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:17:33 PM »
How do I unblock services?? Everytime I use Grabit! program to download off newsgroups it blocks the connection. I have to turn off Avast to use it. I have looked on the Avast interface but cannot find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

techie101

Re: Avast blocking Grabit! and access to newsgroups..
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:08:33 AM »
Julian,

I would open up the OnAccess Protection Control by right clicking on the A icon in the tray.

The first thing I would try is to shut down the Web Shield, then the Network Shield if it is appropriate to your usage.

These are the only modules that would affect connectivity.

Good luck.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 12:51:08 AM »
Everytime I use Grabit! program to download off newsgroups it blocks the connection.
What does block the connection? avast?
It could be a timeout, not a blocking.
I think you're talking about timeout of Mail Scanner of News and not, like Techie said, about Network or Web Shields...
I think it's better configure avast! than to remain unprotected.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 01:01:13 AM »
If as you say it is being blocked, what error/warnings are you getting to indicate this?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Taylor

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 08:15:30 PM »
Everytime I use Grabit! program to download off newsgroups it blocks the connection.
What does block the connection? avast?
It could be a timeout, not a blocking.
I think you're talking about timeout of Mail Scanner of News and not, like Techie said, about Network or Web Shields...
I think it's better configure avast! than to remain unprotected.

Hey all - newbie here, just wanted to followup on this as I downloaded avast last night (Nice prog by the way) and had the same problems as Julian.  Only in my case grabit would timeout every so often, but the search feature itself was timing out, when I stopped avast everything worked normal again.  And in my case I've never had timeout issues with grabit so I'm assuming avast is the culprit.

Is there a configuration I can use that would make an exception and allow grabit to go through?  Thanks in advane

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 08:21:47 PM »
What is your email program, newsreader, etc.

avast has to scan what newsgroups you are grabbing, that takes time especially if you are downloading binaries/attachments. Whilst this scan is being carried out there is no activity on the server so it believes there is a timeout.

Increase the timeout in Grabit or news reader or email program, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Taylor

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 08:25:53 PM »
While I'm appreciate of avast being aggressive, is there a way I can tone it down to where it's not scanning all the time?

ThanksT

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 08:33:53 PM »
While I'm appreciate of avast being aggressive, is there a way I can tone it down to where it's not scanning all the time?
Use 'Normal' sensitivity instead of 'High'.
The providers do not use resources when they're not needed, for instance, when you're off-line.
The best things in life are free.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software