Author Topic: Avast message: Avast needs to restart the computer. how to disable  (Read 20358 times)

kubecj

Re: Avast message: Avast needs to restart the computer. how to disable
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 12:15:22 PM »
sbronsge, I don't understand what your problem is.

Avast _MUST_ ask for the reboot in order to perform program update. It will ask, you will reboot and that's it.

What's your problem then?

sbronsge

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 12:26:49 PM »
Silent means that no messages will be shown.. but does someone know what does happen when a program update is done.

In other words: What is the default action in silent mode after updating the avast program: booting or cancel and wait for reboot?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 12:43:46 PM by sbronsge »

sbronsge

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
sbronsge, I don't understand what your problem is.

Avast _MUST_ ask for the reboot in order to perform program update. It will ask, you will reboot and that's it.

What's your problem then?

My problem is that AVAST asks every day to restart the computer. When I press the update>program button it ALWAYS asks to restart the pc. This cant be because I dont believe avast is updating every day the program. is it?
Also, ive never had this problem in the past and the only thing that has been changed is that Ive sharpened the security settings in the configuration of the avast providers

But what youre saying, is that silent mode acts different as most of us here think?
What is silent mode actually?
From what I expect is that there will be no user interferrence when enabling this option.
When this does only count for virus updates, and not program updates, why is this setting placed then in the dialog for configuring both virus AND program updates as well?
The "do not ask for reboot" option makes it even more complicated.
But: ive got a feeling these 2 settings just work fine normally, and my installation is f***** up.

Will try a reinstall
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:02:40 PM by sbronsge »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 02:36:59 PM »
My problem is that AVAST asks every day to restart the computer. When I press the update>program button it ALWAYS asks to restart the pc. This cant be because I dont believe avast is updating every day the program. is it?
No... avast program isn't being updated on daily basis. Only the virus database.

What is silent mode actually?
Running mode. This setting controls the behavior of manual updates. Automatic updates are always "silent".
Normal. When an update is performed, avast! will display a summary. Optionally, the progress of the update can be shown.
Silent. The updates will be performed completely on background, no messages will be shown.
Other update options:
Show update progress. A small window will be shown during the update - you can watch the progress there.
Show icon in task bar tray. An icon will be shown in the system tray during the update.
Ask for reboot when needed. Some updates may need a reboot to take effect. By checking this option you will set that the operating system restart will not happen automatically - a window will pop up asking whether you want to restart now or later.
Show sliding box after automatic update. When an automatic update is performed, a small notification window will be displayed above the system clock.
Show sliding box on error. If an error occurs during an automatic update attempt, a small notification window will be displayed above the system clock.
Auto-update interval. Here you can set the interval of the automatic updates (i.e. how often avast! checks whether a new update is available).

The "do not ask for reboot" option makes it even more complicated.
Why?
The best things in life are free.

Forejt

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 04:17:42 PM »
You can also check this registry entry (right after computer restart):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, if it contains "PendingFileRenameOpertaions".

Check its contents and if there's only "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder, delete PendingFileRenameOperations, don't delete any other key.

sbronsge

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 04:29:43 PM »
Thanks for the input.
Anyway its disappointing to see that there is no option to hide the reboot message without restarting immediately.
This could have solved my problem, that still exists.

Why?

automatic mode: no messages will be shown.

ask for reboot when needed: some updates need a restart, and the user can be warned/or not for restarting.
If this is correct then the silenced automatic mode isnt really silence... I will see the ask for reboot message anyway!
Disabling the message will cause the system to restart without any warnings. Users who work on systems will never use such an option, maybe standalone servers which dont need technical services. Better is to hide the dialog and to let the user decide: hide/show + reboot/dont reboot . I understand that rebooting once in a while for normal use of avast isnt really a BIG problem. I just think it can be better implemented then it is at the moment. If development can change this behaviour it would be nice, anyway lets forward this as a wish then.. Meanwhile I go on figuring out how to solve my issue
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 05:00:23 PM by sbronsge »

sbronsge

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 04:31:40 PM »
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, if it contains "PendingFileRenameOpertaions".

Check its contents and if there's only "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder, delete PendingFileRenameOperations, don't delete any other key.

thx will check tonight

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 05:11:55 PM »
Meanwhile I go on figuring out how to solve my issue
Sorry if it's an old question, but did you uninstall, boot, install, boot?
The best things in life are free.

sbronsge

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 06:52:56 PM »

hmm only

\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\hashlib.dll

\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\TBM3B.tmp
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\hashlib.dll
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\GCCollection.dll

\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\TBM3D.tmp
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\GCCollection.dll
\??\C:\Config.Msi\2de180.rbf

\??\C:\Config.Msi\2de184.rbf

lets leave it as is...

sbronsge

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 06:54:16 PM »
Meanwhile I go on figuring out how to solve my issue
Sorry if it's an old question, but did you uninstall, boot, install, boot?

lets try this as a final solution, its interesting to see where the issue is located

Forejt

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »
These files look like it's from Microsoft's Antispyware. It has nothing to do with avast! updates. If this key remains same after another restart, I think you can delete this key as these files wouldn't be renamed either.

sbronsge

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 07:51:48 PM »
there is indeed microsoft antispyware active i will let it as is
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 08:24:00 PM by sbronsge »

sbronsge

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005, 01:12:11 PM »
Issue was solved by reinstalling and putting the automatic program update OFF. the avast program update does have now its default setting, letting me know when there is a new version.

thanks everyone at Avast!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 01:26:52 PM by sbronsge »