Author Topic: How do I install the "License.avastvpn" file you sent me?  (Read 8365 times)

REDACTED

How do I install the "License.avastvpn" file you sent me?
« on: November 04, 2015, 11:29:33 PM »
I have "Avast Mac Security" (v. 11.3) and "Avast SecureLine VPN" (v. 1.7) installed on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) running OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

I ran Avast SecureLine VPN and it told me that my trial had expired, so I upgraded to the yearly subscription. Bought the subscription and Avast sent me a "License.avastvpn" file with instructions to double-click it.

So I double-click it, Avast Mac Security launches…oddly enough it seems to virus scan the file…and then nothing.

Avast SecureLine VPN is still telling me to upgrade because the trial has expired.

I looked in the Prefs of Avast SecureLine VPN and there's a place to type in an activation code, but you guys didn't send me an activation code, you sent me a license file.

How do I get an activation code?

I opened the license file in a text editor and there's no activation code in it.

What do I do now?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How do I install the "License.avastvpn" file you sent me?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:00:32 AM »
I opened the license file in a text editor and there's no activation code in it.
Ofcourse there isn't. It is a license file, not a activation code. Those are two different things.

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB202

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 01:23:04 AM »
How exactly does your somewhat flippant response help me?

You sent me a link on how to install the VPN software.

It's ALREADY installed, but it thinks it doesn't have a license.

I have a license file but there is NO apparent way to apply the license file to the app.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:25:57 AM »
Further, in the link you sent me (which I had already read before posting to the forum it clearly states:

"What can I do if a "license expired" message appears when I enter the authentication code?

Check the email you received with the activation code and verify the dates and duration h of the validity length and dates of the license. Remember that Avast SecureLine VPN requires a separate license from the antivirus product. Subscriptions are available for 30 days, or 1 or 2 years."

The email I received didn't contain an activation code, it only contained a license file.

So how does one turn a license file into the activation code that the app wants?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 01:53:57 AM »
So how does one turn a license file into the activation code that the app wants?
Not possible. As I already told you those are two different things.

Did you even check the things/faq's on the site I gave you?
I bet you didn't.
If you did you would have found/seen "What can I do if my activation was not successful?"
https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB63

Offline moroni

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
Hi pfkearney3,

SecureLine for Mac only works with activation codes, not license files.
Since you received a license file, it means that you purchased a license to SecureLine for Windows.

Please open a ticket to request a refund for the wrong order https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new
You can in the meantime purchase the correct one from within Avast for Mac.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
I also have this problem I have sent in a ticket and have had no reply for  5 days. And I can't see any option within Avast to purchase an activation code

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
Avast is trying to handle tickets within 10 business days (=2 weeks).

Since avast for mac is free there is no option to purchase a activation code.

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB70

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 12:47:59 AM »
After two calls to support (which were completely unhelpful) and generating a tech support ticket, the problem has been partially solved.

The link on the Avast website is for SecureLine VPN for PC, not for SecureLine VPN for Mac.

Why neither of the telephone support personnel that I talked to were aware of this is a mystery to me.

Fortunately a reply came from Avast in my support ticket that provided the following link, to be able to purchase SecureLine VPN for Mac via my web browser:

https://store.avast.com/store/avast/en_US/buy/productID.314308300/quantity.1/Currency.USD/OfferID.44978518309/pgm./ThemeID.38044100/CustomID./clearCart.1/isGeoLocation.1

Using this link I was able to purchase a SecureLine VPN for Mac activation code.

I still need to figure out how to get a refund for the SecureLine VPN for PC product I purchased which I can't use.

So if you purchased SecureLine VPN through the Avast web site and not from inside the SecureLine VPN for Mac application, you are going to have to get a refund for your PC license AFTER you purchase the SecureLine VPN for Mac activation code.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 01:02:04 AM »
By the way Eddy, this entire issue stems from the fact that when one goes to the Avast store:

https://www.avast.com/en-us/store

Look at the store, it doesn't say anywhere on that page that "SecureLine" is for Windows only.

There are three "SecureLine" products listed on that page for purchase:

1) SecureLine (which doesn't say anything about Windows-only)
2) SecureLine Mobile for Android
3) SecureLine Mobile for iOS

Any customer with a Mac is going to click on the "SecureLine" "GET IT NOW" link because that's the only product available.

FIX YOUR WEB SITE STORE PAGE so there is a link to purchase "SecureLine for Windows" and a separate link to purchase "SecureLine for Mac" and you won't have these problems.

If all one has is a Mac and you purchase "SecureLine" from your web store, one isn't stupid, we know a license file and an activation code are two different things, what we don't understand is why your brain dead online storefront is sending us a license file when it should be sending us an activation code if we're on a Mac, not a PC.

Any web jockey with half a brain can look at the user agent of the machine connected to the web server and determine if it's running Windows or OS X and tell the back end system that the customer wants to purchase the PC version or the Mac version. The fact that your website doesn't do this when you're not providing separate links to purchase the Windows versus Mac versions of the SecureLine product is the problem that your company needs to fix rather than treating me like I'm a dumbass in an online company forum. If you worked in any of the tech support groups that were in any tech company that I've worked for in the last 25 years, I'd have had you fired.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
Why neither of the telephone support personnel that I talked to were aware of this is a mystery to me.
It is not avast you called but a third party. Right from the start that avast is using them there are a huge amounts of complains about that so called support staff. My advise is to never call them to avoid wasting your time.
I still need to figure out how to get a refund for the SecureLine VPN for PC product I purchased which I can't use.
To request a refund, you must submit a ticket or send a email to the billing/sales department.
You are going to have to get a refund for your PC license AFTER you purchase the SecureLine VPN for Mac activation code.
No, there is also the "30 day money back" guaranty. There is no need to pay for something else before you can ask for a refund.
Look at the store, it doesn't say anywhere on that page that "SecureLine" is for Windows only.
You could (should) have known it was for a pc if you looked at the order detail before clicking on "complete the purchase". The order form very clearly let you only select the amount of pc's you want to buy a license for. It doesn't let you choose Mac, Android or anything.
On the main page there is also the option : Menu > Mac > Secureline
I believe a improvement would be the option to choose for what platform a person wants to buy the license on the order form.
There are three "SecureLine" products listed on that page for purchase:
Actually 4. There is also "business".
Sure, I believe Mac should be listed there also.
Any customer with a Mac is going to click on the "SecureLine" "GET IT NOW" link because that's the only product available.
As I said, it is not the only link. Besides that, most software is for Windows. One should assume the software is for Windows unless mentioned otherwise or if one is on a platform specific website.
Any web jockey with half a brain can look at the user agent..
That is a real silly idea. It would mean that e.g. if I want to buy something for a pc while I am using a tablet for ordering I would automatically get the wrong version. It is likely that if someone is on a pc, (s)he wants a pc product but that doesn't have to be the case.

I do fully agree with you that there things that could (should) be improved on the website.
I hope avast picks up our posts about this and do something with it.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »
I have the very same problem.
Been forwarded from the page for mac to the store. Bought the license and received the link to the file for Windows.
Now I guess, I have to ask for a refund...
Real pain in the ass. Avast store sucks.

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »
Hello,
  you cannot buy a SecureLine license for MAC from the Avast store, only in app. After an in-app purchase, the product should activate the license internally and you should receive an activation code with an email that you can use for the activation on another device or in case of any troubles.

Regarding the refunds please contact our support (https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new).

Best Regards,
  Martin
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 01:25:27 PM by krahulik »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 01:41:16 AM »
I have the same problem. The Secureline App does not react to any clicks so that I cannot buy a license for my Mac. That is why I went to the Avast website.

I bought a 2 yr license for 1 PC (as far as I understand, a Mac is a PC also, duhh).
Funnywise with the provided link I could see for the first time a license for Mac. Going to the website this was impossible to reach.

If Avast would be consistent, you could offer a license for Windows and a license for Mac. Why you make it so confusing? You have to tell me. I am not the only guy who fell into the trap.

Next trap: Price for 2 years is stated to be 89.99 $. Already more expensive than the Windows version. But when I place the order and go to Paypal, then suddenly I should be charged for 107.99 $. WTF!?!?!?!

Is there any alternative besides of Secureline, guys?

I waited for more than 2 weeks for a support response, had different phone calls, this all is ridiculous and feels like a scam. Mac and Secureline? Not really friends...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »
you could offer a license for Windows and a license for Mac
avast is doing that. There is a license for PC's and one for MAC's.
Why you make it so confusing?
It is not confusing at all. You simply need to get what is made for your system. It is as with cars. There are different kind of fuels, you need to get the right fuel for the car or it will not work.
suddenly I should be charged for 107.99 $.
For me it shows 108,89 It can be Paypal is charging for handling.
had different phone calls
Not to avast. Most likely to a third party and they are not handling issues like this. For that you will need to submit a ticket to avast.
Is there any alternative besides of Secureline
Yes there are, search for them. But be careful not all can be trusted !