Author Topic: Windows Media Player Error After Installing Avast  (Read 13383 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Windows Media Player Error After Installing Avast
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »
Does media player work if the mp3 is copied to the desktop and run from there

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 12:41:33 AM »
Sorry for the delay but I was out of the office all day.
No, it doesn't matter if the mp3 is attached to an email or stored on the hard drive, it does not play.  Same thing with iTunes.
Have also been getting an error when my client database backup utility tries to run:  "(Init Util Form) An error has occurred in your Advisors Assistant Server Utilities program.  Please contact technical support.  Could not load file or assembly 'C1.Win.C1Super tooltip.4, Version=4.0.20142.143, Culture=neutral, PublicKey Token=79882d576c633da' or one of its dependencies.  The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest."
That client database is also shared on my network, but no one is able to access it.  Tracked that to Windows Firewall, so it is temporarily disabled.
There have been a couple other smaller problems, too, that I don't remember at the moment.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 03:19:52 PM »
That points to a net framework error

What AV did you have prior to Avast ?  As it now appears to be a damage repair job now that the malware has gone

I will try and think of the simplest way around this, meanwhile have you considered upgrading to windows 10 ? 

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 03:56:17 PM »
I previously had Windows Essential Security but, after ready many negative comments about it, moved to the free version of Malwarebytes.  I was unaware that the free version does not automatically scan and was, therefore, unprotected for several months.

I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 in December.  I'd like to do a clean install and that will require quite a bit of time to reinstall all my business software.  The Christmas break would be a good time for me to do that since client interaction will be greatly reduced.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »
I previously had Windows Essential Security but, after ready many negative comments about it, moved to the free version of Malwarebytes.  I was unaware that the free version does not automatically scan and was, therefore, unprotected for several months.

I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 in December.  I'd like to do a clean install and that will require quite a bit of time to reinstall all my business software.  The Christmas break would be a good time for me to do that since client interaction will be greatly reduced.
Security Essentials is an Antivirus. Malwarebytes is mainly Ant-Malware, a companion to your Antivirus. It's not meant to be a replacement.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 08:30:27 PM »
As it stands to do all repairs necessary may well entail an over install of windows with all the inherent dangers.  Or you can try to live with the current problems as an install of 10 will cure them all

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
I can probably endure until the end of next month.  Thanks for all your help!  You've been invaluable!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »
The adware you had actually changes two windows files that we are currently aware of so it is there any time you use the internet

Unfortunately it also damages other system settings when it does the changes, hence the problems removing it

It is probably the best option to bear with it and then go for an upgrade

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Remove tools

Download and run Delfix
Select the options as shown

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article

I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

If you do need to keep Java then download JavaRa
Run the programme and select  Remove Java Runtime.  Uninstall all versions of Java present
Once done then run it again and select Update Java runtime > Download and install Latest version

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Malwarebytes

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Unchecky

Click on the link above to be taken to Unchecky.com
click the very large Download button.
click Save
Click Open folder
Right click on the Unchecky_setup and choose to Run as Administrator
Once open click the Install button.
Then click on Finish
Unchecky is now installed and will help you keep unwanted check boxes unchecked, this is a fire and forget programme  ;)

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide  Best security practices Keep safe  :wave:

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »
Was just showing someone how themes work and, when going back to my original settings, received an error that my speaker drivers had a problem.  It asked me if I wanted to disable HD sound (or something like that).  I disabled it and now WMP and iTunes works again.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 10:47:02 PM »
Hmm that is the problem when malware corrupts files and settings, they have unintended consequences that do not appear to be related