Author Topic: Smart scan 2016 is stuck!  (Read 14765 times)

REDACTED

Smart scan 2016 is stuck!
« on: November 07, 2015, 11:28:26 AM »
I've just installed the 2016 version. I have a new (under 6 month old pc), which requires little scanning due to the relatively small number of files. I'm using Windows 10. The smartscan will not go beyond 43%, no matter how long I need it to run. Any advice? The software appears to work in every other way.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Smart scan 2016 is stuck!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »
I have a new (under 6 month old pc)
Did it come with a factory installed AV, if so, did you remove it before installing avast?
did you follow vendors removal instructions using a removal tool?  https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »
Did you do a repair of avast via add/remove? If you did and it didn't resolve this issue. Do the following:

1) Make sure your Windows 10 pc is up-to-date from Microsoft update
2) Your pc comes with a pre-installed antivirus program? which one? Did you use your previous antivirus removal tool after you uninstalled your previous antivirus via add/remove? If not do step 3.
3) Download your previous antivirus removal tool and Avast uninstall utility. Disconnect your pc from the internet
4) Uninstall Avast from add/remove and follow the instructions.
5) Run the avast uninstall utility in normal mode and it will ask you if you want this tool to run your computer in safe mode automatically. Click yes and follow the instructions.
6) Run your pc in safe mode manually and run your previous antivirus removal tool and follow the instructions.
7) Reconnect your pc to the internet and download and the avast 2016 file. Once it has been installed. Restart your pc manually and register your copy of avast.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »
I have a new (under 6 month old pc)
Did it come with a factory installed AV, if so, did you remove it before installing avast?
did you follow vendors removal instructions using a removal tool?  https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle
Hi
I just updated from the previous Avast. No other AV on here.
Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
Did you do a repair of avast via add/remove? If you did and it didn't resolve this issue. Do the following:

1) Make sure your Windows 10 pc is up-to-date from Microsoft update
2) Your pc comes with a pre-installed antivirus program? which one? Did you use your previous antivirus removal tool after you uninstalled your previous antivirus via add/remove? If not do step 3.
3) Download your previous antivirus removal tool and Avast uninstall utility. Disconnect your pc from the internet
4) Uninstall Avast from add/remove and follow the instructions.
5) Run the avast uninstall utility in normal mode and it will ask you if you want this tool to run your computer in safe mode automatically. Click yes and follow the instructions.
6) Run your pc in safe mode manually and run your previous antivirus removal tool and follow the instructions.
7) Reconnect your pc to the internet and download and the avast 2016 file. Once it has been installed. Restart your pc manually and register your copy of avast.

Hi
I've tried repairing Avast, rebooted and still the same problem.

Windows is up-to-date (everything is up-to-date on the PC). The AV was Avast previously, so should just have been a simple update.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 05:37:58 PM »
What step / item does the Smart Scan stall / stick at ?  (For example, starting Network Security scan)
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
What step / item does the Smart Scan stall / stick at ?  (For example, starting Network Security scan)
At Network threats

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 03:46:58 PM »
I should now add, I've deleted and reinstalled the software again. Same problem

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
It seems there are others with issues on the Network scanning (several threads here about scanning showing complete but still working on some parts, etc.).  If you go into the settings for the Smart Scan and remove the Network scan portion, does the Smart Scan finish then?
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
Is there a error or something alike in one of the log files ?

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 08:18:59 AM »
It seems there are others with issues on the Network scanning (several threads here about scanning showing complete but still working on some parts, etc.).  If you go into the settings for the Smart Scan and remove the Network scan portion, does the Smart Scan finish then?
Yes, finishes in no time at all.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 08:20:35 AM »
Is there a error or something alike in one of the log files ?
Sorry - where are the log files?

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
I'm finding that only when I disable 'scan for viruses' in the smartscan settings do the scan complete. But also, when running a virus scan manually, the scan is stuck at 0% forever.

Any solutions for this?

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 03:16:47 AM »
Seems there is no solution?  My Smartscan also gets stuck (at the virus check).

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
After the latest program update 17.2.2288 with release date 2-2-17, the scan proceeds and finishes as expected. It will stay 14% or so for awhile while performing the virus scan, then it will continue to scan or check the other components.