Author Topic: How much does Secureline VPN hide  (Read 3311 times)

REDACTED

How much does Secureline VPN hide
« on: November 08, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently on the free trial for Secureline VPN. I don't have a great grasp on how these things work so I hope this isn't a stupid question: I'm wondering whether my network administrator can still track the pages I visit. I'm not doing anything illegal, but I live in a not very LGBT-friendly househould, and I know my parents occasionally check the internet activity here and I'm afraid they might find out some very personal information from tracking the pages I visit.

Does Secureline VPN protect me from this kind of tracking (from inside my own home) or does it just stop spying from outside?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:02:39 PM by anderwww »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How much does Secureline VPN hide
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:14:22 PM »
I'm wondering whether my network administrator can still track the pages I visit.
A good admin always can see that.

The SecureLine VPN works by creating an encrypted tunnel between the user's computer and the SecureLine server, and all internet traffic is sent through this tunnel.

I know my parents occasionally check the internet activity here and I'm afraid they might find out some very personal information from tracking the pages I visit.
And? They are your parents. If you are still a kid (as it sounds), they should keep a eye on what you are doing. You should not do things they tell you not to do.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 09:27:40 PM »
Can I take it my activity can most likely still be tracked then?

I'm 19, turning 20 soon, so some sort of an adult. I live in a househould that isn't so accepting, and I'm afraid that if I'm outed without my consent I may not be safe with my own family.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
If your parents pay for the connection, they have the right to check what happens with/on it.

Find a place for your own to live or get your own internet connection.
Perhaps there is a free/open wifi network that you can use.
A other option is satellite internet connection.

Offline irongod

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 03:33:08 PM »
 ;)  Trying to avoid getting into any ethical discussion...

A VPN is unuseful for your scope, it would be sufficient to navigate in private mode (IE, Edge, FF, Chrome, Opera ...  have this mode) to not leave traces of the PC you're browsing from...  unless your parents are IT experts and sniff the data from outside the house. This would be the only case that a VPN might help... otherwise anything inside your house in not affected by the VPN.

The best way for them to check (and stop) would be easily through the Router Setting where (usually) you can log: traffic, data usage etc. without my kids even knew that! And with a good pwd nobody could change the router settings but me! ;D

Again all these considerations based on the assumption that you are not the owner and payer for the DLS connection (despite being +18)...
You take the tarot cards and throw them to the wind!