Author Topic: Avast Passwords and Internet Explorer in Windows 10  (Read 11081 times)

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
Avast Passwords and Internet Explorer in Windows 10
« on: November 09, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »
Hi All

Wanted to use Avast passwords, but come to find out it doesn't support Internet Explorer in Windows 10 Pro 64bit or Microsoft Edge (default browser)  Internet explorer always been my favorite browser, and my default one for years, using Microsoft edge more lately as well.    What good is Avast passwords if doesn't support those browsers?     
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

REDACTED

Re: Avast Passwords and Internet Explorer in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:50:21 AM »
Greetings Patrick,

I'm no Avast expert, but I can tell you that MS Edge has yet to support 3rd party extensions, so the password manager or anything else for that matter, won't work in Edge. From what I read online, MS tried to have support for extensions ready for the TH2 (Threshold 2) release, which is build 10586 (available now to fast-ring insiders), but that didn't happen. The word now is hopefully we'll see Edge support for extensions in the next major upgrade - code named Redstone, due maybe late spring 2016.

MS has a love affair with Edge. It was built from the ground up as a closed system, i.e. closed browser, and runs really well on a decent machine under Windows 10. Microsoft rightly figures what could really screw it up is to open it up for add-ons, plug-ins, extensions, what have you. I suspect, just like getting a universal app into the MS store, there will be a pretty strict signature or certification process to go through to allow your extension into Edge. Hoops to jump through. That said, even when Edge eventually does support extensions, I don't expect to see the flood-gates opened. It's gonna take time...

So that's edge. Now then, as far as Internet Explorer 11 as included in the current release of Windows 10 pro 64bit... Imma thinking it should work. I know my RoboForm works there, ands that's important since Avast partnered with Siber System's RoboForm as the core of their password management offering. If RoboForm works, so should Avast password manager, aka EasyPass. I'll try it here and see what I can find out.

I'm a long time RoboForm user, but brand new to Avast. I've been doing some digging/playing around with Avast the past couple of days and I have noticed one thing... It seems the version of RoboForm Avast is using is at least two, and maybbe three versions old compared to the current version of RoboForm. RF's current version is 7.9.16.7. In order for me to test Avast, I have to disable my current version of RoboForm. That's the test I'll do on IE 11 and get back to ya. I used to like IE, but they could never patch all the security holes fast enough. I'm not a huge fan of Google, so I shy away from Chrome. Firefox was my favorite flavor until I stumbled upon Waterfox, which is run by just one guy. He uses Firefox and recompiles it for maximum 64bit performance. Waterfox is only available in 64bit flavor. It's my default browser.

I do like Edge, but I can't use RoboForm with it, so right now it's just a play toy.

Lemme see what I can do with Avast and IE 11.

Cheers from bayou country!
Mr. Joey

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:10:04 AM »
Thank you, let me know what you find out, meanwhile i'll just sit back and wait patiently

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »
Hi,

we will start supporting IE10+ very soon.
Martin

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »
Follow-up for Patrick...

Yep. You are right. I can't get Avast password to even "see" IE 11 in my Win10 pro 64bit. By "see" I mean to even have the option to install the extension. Clearly IE 11 is not supported at this time. I see an Avast moderator has already replied with this info.
For what it's worth, it's not a RoboForm problem per-se... Although I'm not the type to pass the buck/blame to somebody else. Avast needs to incorporate the latest RoboForm. Ummm, if y'all need a RoboForm expert, I'm available for hire! Ha! (Can I bring my pet alligator with me?)

Don't give up, Patrick! Enough RoboForm loudmouths such as myself will get the ball rolling over at Avast!

As a side note... As a long time user of RoboForm, I'm anxious to see it incorporated into Avast if only for one thing I've been harping on over at Siber Systems (makers of RoboForm) for a long time now... An upgraded User Interface!
I like RoboForm, I really do. As a long time user, I depend on it now. It does what it does well, and I can exploit all it's features. The UI though, is downright prehistoric! I read a news article recently where the chief design expert over at Google is making fun of Microsoft Win 10 saying "Yeah, Windows 10 years ago!" That's hilarious! This guy should never set eyes on RoboForm, it's user interface is straight out of Windows 95, or maybe XP at best! Believe me, I've let Siber Systems know. The thing that bothers me the most is that Siber Systems web-site, and RoboForm home page, are sleek and modern. Install the program on your machine and bring it up on your desktop, and you are instantly brought back to Jurrasic Park style icons and fonts.

It'd be funny if I didn't need this program so much!

So here we are. Patrick, you and I can count on the good folks at Avast to save the day and bring the usefulness of good old RoboForm into Win 10 IE (and Edge in the future) along with a sleek UI. Right?

Now we both sit back and be patient.

Cheers,
Mr. Joey

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »
Thank you both so much, relaxes me well :))

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 09:33:33 PM »
Just to clarify, Avast Passwords certainly is not RoboForm. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 05:09:14 AM »
 I haven't seen any update on this situation but we're 6 months down the road and as far as I can tell IE11 still is not supported.
 Is there a timeframe for adding this support - I really want to use Passwords but I need it to support IE11 before I make the move.

Offline allanhelboe

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:13:02 AM »
MartinZ, in post #3 you state it will work soon..... How long is soon to you?? A Year???
To me soon is much shorter - but Avast Password still does not work in IE........

Offline HairyScot

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 12:18:17 AM »
How does this feature compare to Lastpass?

Lastpass supports IE and Microsoft Edge in addition to Chrome and Firefox