Author Topic: Disable automatic e-mail footer?  (Read 14038 times)

REDACTED

Disable automatic e-mail footer?
« on: November 10, 2015, 10:23:31 PM »
I'm using Avast Free version 11.1.2241 with Windows 10. Where can I disable the automatic e-mail footer it always adds when sending mail with Gmail? I read that there should be a Mail Shield option in the Active Protection tab but I only have the File System and Browser protection there. And I can't find the option to turn this footer off.

How do I disable it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Disable automatic e-mail footer?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »
AvastUI > Settings (the cog wheel icon) > Active Protection > Mail Shield > Customize > Behaviour - uncheck any insert notes that are enabled which you don't want.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:06:08 PM »
I do not have Mail Shield in the Active Protection tab at all.

I think during the installation of Avast I chose not to install it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:08:38 PM by PuujalKavidzi »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »
Start > Control panel > software > avast > change
Is the mail shield installed ?
If not, install it and see if you can change the settings.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »
Sorry guys, we kept the setting checkbox inside mail shield - it is after all part of the mail handling - but didn't realize that for webmail based emails, the actual functionality resides inside WebShield. Therefore you might have troubles turning it off with mail shield not installed.

We'll change this and most probably replicate the same checkbox inside both shields. Until now, please install mail shield, turn off and then remove it again (or turn off, it does not consume any resources when not running). Sorry for the hassle.

Lukas.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »
Ok, thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 12:21:57 AM »
@ Lukor

Thanks for the expansion about Web Shield - web mail (which I don't really use) having this function. I still have the Mail Shield so I'm able to disable it if required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »
This worked for me:

search for (or create it)
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini
(or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini on windows xp)

Open the file with notepad and add or modify the values in the [EmailScanner] section

[EmailScanner]
InsertNoteCleanMsgOut=0
InsertNoteCleanMsgIn=0
InsertNoteInfectedMsgIn=0

Now save the changes, the avast! Self-Defence Module will ask for confirmation, answer Yes.

And that's it.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 08:37:49 PM »
Liam, thank you so much for finding a solution! You are a godsend.

I had trouble at first, though. Maybe this will help someone else: Try copying EmailShield.ini to another location first, then edit the file, disable Avast's Self-Defense Module temporarily, cut and paste the edited file to the original location, and then turn the module back on again.

Please, Avast team, place these options under another menu. Have it in the next update! Believe me, customers will be very grateful.

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 09:06:34 PM »
Sorry guys, we kept the setting checkbox inside mail shield - it is after all part of the mail handling - but didn't realize that for webmail based emails, the actual functionality resides inside WebShield.

You didn't realize, eh?  I applaud your honesty, but perhaps Avast management should have a better understanding of how their flagship software actually works.  Such understanding might even improve their managerial decision-making!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 10:44:13 PM »
Sorry guys, we kept the setting checkbox inside mail shield - it is after all part of the mail handling - but didn't realize that for webmail based emails, the actual functionality resides inside WebShield.

You didn't realize, eh?  I applaud your honesty, but perhaps Avast management should have a better understanding of how their flagship software actually works.  Such understanding might even improve their managerial decision-making!

This was the first occasion that avast had introduced the capacity to scan webmail and insert scanned note using the Web Shield, previously it was only the Mail Shield that could do it for standard email clients. The omission was that fact that this could only be changed in the Mail Shield settings.

I would rather doubt senior management would have a detailed in depth knowledge of how everything is done within the program, that is really a failing of QA, who should have picked this up in testing. Not to mention the beta build users (of whom I was one of very many) and I don't use web mail, so never came across this issue.

I think the main thing is that it has been identified and will be resolved. That said I'm currently running a beta version 2016 11.1.244 and it isn't in here yet.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 05:39:26 AM »
I think the main thing is that it has been identified and will be resolved. That said I'm currently running a beta version 2016 11.1.244 and it isn't in here yet.
Hi Dave, you find it under Settings -> General in build 2244.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 03:40:57 PM »
Hi Dave, you find it under Settings -> General in build 2244.

That's good at least it is there, just that it isn't exactly intuitive - I looked where it was said/suggested it would be when mentioned, e.g. duplication in both the Mail and Web Shields and failed to find it in the Web Shield.

Now it is here - I would question the need for it being in the mail shield at all - only for the point that people actually looking to prevent signatures in emails, would look in the obvious location the mail shield settings.

If you are going to put it in the General section, what about the options of what signature included/removed.  For the moment, it is just as confused as before, possibly more so - an all or nothing issue - as you can't select if you want it. Unless of course you go to the Mail Shield > Settings > Behaviour, confused, I think so.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 03:56:08 PM »
That's good at least it is there, just that it isn't exactly intuitive...
Agreed, but as long as it's off per default, I don't care much where it's located. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 01:53:27 AM »
Changing the e-mail that I send without letting me see the changes is a really dastardly thing to do.  All of a sudden my outgoing Gmail messages have that Avast signature, and the signature is not visible to me until after the message is saved or sent.

Looks like it's time for me to start paying for anti-virus, and not Avast.