Author Topic: RESOLVED:Avast safeprice extension?. i did not ask or want this extension/plugin  (Read 14662 times)

REDACTED

i'm using the new avast free antivirus 2016.

yesterday , out of no where there was a avast safe price plugin/extension , i disabled it , why ?, i dont like shit being installed with out my permission, this should be a option and should be made to be easily removed . i use windows 10 "home" 64bit.

i thought you stopped this bs , it was not in my "add+remove programs, i right click on avast in add+remove programs and selected change and it was not listed, how do you remove this from firefox 42.0 ?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:41:14 PM by kissbaby »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast safe price extension ?. i did not ask or want this extension/plug-in
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:06:26 PM »
It isn't an add-on in its own right, Open the Avast Online Security (AOS) add-on - Click on its browser icon to access its settings - there should be an option there for Safe Price.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
It is part of AOS
Click the AOS icon > click settings and remove it from there

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »
You did gave permission.
You should have used the custom install option.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:29:33 PM »
You did gave permission.

lol, i did not give permission, i did the custom install, when i opened up firefox a extension alert popped up, i click no, and it still installed . plus it installed as a separate extension.... .

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »
You did gave permission.

As I said Safe Price isn't an add-on in its own right, so even if a custom install was done there would be no way of knowing before hand that it is in the AOS (Browser Protection, which I feel is poorly worded) add-on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
You did gave permission.

lol, i did not give permission, i did the custom install, when i opened up firefox a extension alert popped up, i click no, and it still installed . plus it installed as a separate extension.... .

I don't know what version of avast that you had previously, but now I thought Safe Price is an option in the AOS - I think in older versions of avast it may have been a stand alone add-on.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
You did gave permission.

I don't know what version of avast that you had previously, but now I thought Safe Price is an option in the AOS - I think in older versions of avast it may have been a stand alone add-on.

i had the version , before this new 2016 version, i had "Avast! Free Antivirus 10.4.2233" ,but any ways as you can see, both avast extensions/plugins are disabled . plus it did not install in google chrome, cuz google chrome so far, dont support it, thank god. but hey, you get what you pay for , my avast is free, so the freedom of choice is limited

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »
Hi,

Since version 2016 SafePrice is now also standalone addon in Firefox.
And you are right we cannot install it without your permission, that's why Firefox is asking you and if you don't accept the plugin is disabled. If you are worried that it's in the addons list you can delete manually this folder: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\SafePrice\FF

Hope it helps.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 08:39:37 PM »
Hi,

Since version 2016 SafePrice is now also standalone addon in Firefox.
And you are right we cannot install it without your permission, that's why Firefox is asking you and if you don't accept the plugin is disabled. If you are worried that it's in the addons list you can delete manually this folder: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\SafePrice\FF

Hope it helps.

-----------------
Worked like a charm, thanks for the help.
plus here is a video i did on how i did it , you actually have to disable a setting in avast, in order to delete certain file's  in the avast folder, i read about how online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDCt8xQGFP0

-----------------

REDACTED

The excuse "you allowed it because you didn't do the custom install" is debatable since it's arguably true that even if you didn't read the pages of agreement, you would not reasonably expect Avast to modify your computer with non-AV stuff.

This isn't the first intrusion like this from Avast and when my computer (Winpatrol?) told me Avast was trying to install SafePrice, I denied it, removed Avast, and installed Avira Free - which actually scored better at AV-Comparatives on the latest 166,522 virus study in detection, removal, and speed.  Either one is a great AV and I'll go with whichever one asks before it installs stuff.  Avira's Browser Safety extension includes a price comparison tool, but you can turn it off.

Thanks, Avast, for a great, free AV product, but when you started messing with non-AV-related stuff on my computer without at least informing me you were going to do it, it made me feel like you wanted to force certain PUP's on me before you'd clean others.

Offline namavadhuta

After several years, with faith in Avast, i will not renew my licence again. What crap. A freaking built-in price spam thing.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
It is not spam as has been explained many times already.

It is a add-on and it is your own choice to install it or not.
Electronic spamming is the use of electronic messaging systems to send unsolicited messages (spam), especially advertising, as well as sending messages repeatedly on the same site.
If you install it, it is your own choice and therefor the advertisements/messages are not unsolicited.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
After several years, with faith in Avast, i will not renew my licence again. What crap. A freaking built-in price spam thing.

After several years of use, I would have thought you would understand that avast is still one of the most configurable AVs out there. If you don't want a module/function, don't install it.

However, to do that you would have to do a custom install to see what the default options are in order not to get what you don't need/want.

I have never had the Safe Price browser add-on offered or installed, lucky I guess.