Author Topic: Gonna use AVAST on my next phone. I have Questions and Topics of Interest.  (Read 2660 times)

REDACTED

My Nexus 5 was snatched in broad daylight by a group of thieves in Manila's central business district. Unfortunately, no security apps were installed aside from the Android device manager which is a horrible one. I am planning to buy a nexus 6 and will likely use AVAST this time.

My Questions about AVAST Anti-theft:

1. do I need the phone to be logged in to my google account for it to be active? This is crucial because if I want to secure my sensitive data in my gmail...Is it possible to have all my google access removed, and account passwords changed, sim card blocked, and still trace the phone?

2.Can it be activated even if the simcard changed and the phone is turned off?

3. Can the location be turned on remotely? I usually  turn this option off by default to save battery.

Topic: Lock screens and android encryption.

Hi do you think it would be wise to NOT encrypt your phone with a locked screen pattern or code if you want to retrieve a stolen device?

The thieves who stole my phone turned off my phone and my phone is encrypted, so the logical thing they would do is to have the phone flashed and wiped the phone if they cant access it, therefore erasing the tracking apps . So with that, what I would do is not encrypt it and not put a lock screen code so they possibly won't wipe it. If it turns it on, I can still trace. I'd like to hear your opinions about this idea. thanks!

REDACTED

Re: Gonna use AVAST on my next phone. I have Questions and Topics of Interest.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
Hi,
1. No, no need to be logged in to Gmail.
2. If phone is off, app cannot be activated. However, it will activate once phone is on and SIM card is changed.
3. GPS cannot be turned on remotely since Android 2.3.

For PIN or pattern lock it is hard to say. When your phone is stolen and not locked, thief can easily access your data before you send SMS or command from my.avast.
If its locked, then thief will maybe flash it. You can you Avast Anti-Theft for rooted device, which can survive flash.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply, The last one got me. It can survive a flash if it's rooted. How does that work?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
It can survive a flash if it's rooted. How does that work?
If you have to ask you likely won't understand the technical answer.
Besides that, avast is not gonna reveal the their secrets.
The bad guys can also read.  ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »
Oh perfect then! I will root my phone and get Avast + premium once I get my good deal on the Nexus 6. horribly miss my nexus 5, i should have been more thorough with security.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 05:47:51 PM »
It is not all negative.
At least you learned something from it. ;)

I don't know what android version is on the Nexus 6, but if it is Android 6 do not install avast on it at this time.
The latest avast mobile version is not compatible with Android 6.
I expect a release that is soon.

If you gonna install the free or the premium (paid) version is ofcourse up to you.
But whatever your choice is, I would say install avast mobile security + avast anti theft.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:16:59 PM »
Hi Eddy, thanks! I am gonna get the N6 tomorrow after 2 weeks without a smartphone. I will update it to marshmallow if it's available. and I'll wait for the new avast patches for marshmallow before rooting;)