Author Topic: Virus chest Files  (Read 2951 times)

Rapporman

Virus chest Files
« on: December 08, 2005, 01:14:09 PM »
Hi Folks.   

When a system file is infected and is placed in the Chest but cannot be repaired etc and has to remain in the chest or be deleted, do I then have to reinstall the file from my XP disc ?

I appreciate this is probably a very basic question and that  the answer would seem to be obvious but nothing in the Avast help manual suggests what one should do after the file has been dealt with in the Chest.  Will the file be replaced automatically if I run SFC /scannow rather than install it manually?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus chest Files
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 02:05:59 PM »
When a system file is infected and is placed in the Chest but cannot be repaired etc and has to remain in the chest or be deleted, do I then have to reinstall the file from my XP disc ?
Don't mess infected system files with the ones there just for backup purposes (into System folder of the Chest). The last ones are clean.
The infected files, when removed to Chest, will 'start' XP file protection feature asking for reinstalling the original (clean) files.

Will the file be replaced automatically if I run SFC /scannow rather than install it manually?  Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes, if you run SFC and have the original CD and ask for replacing, the files will be automatically replaced by the original ones.

Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »
Leave the file/s that you send there in the avast Chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. You should leave it there for a week or two to ensure no harmful effects of having moved it. If there are no harmful effects, then scan it again if that scan also confirms it as infected you can delete it from within the chest.

As Tech said don't touch anything other that the Infected Files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rapporman

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:10:02 PM »
Thanks Tech and DavidR for responding so promptly.  I am bound to have further queries in the future, so please don't go away !!!

;D 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 07:06:22 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 11:12:38 PM »
Thanks Tech and DavidR for responding so promptly.  I am bound to have further queries in the future, so please don't go away !!!
We won't disapear from here that easy  ;)
Welcome to the family  8)
The best things in life are free.