Author Topic: Suspicious about Internet Mail Provider?  (Read 8521 times)

Zagor

Re: Suspicious about Internet Mail Provider?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 05:36:14 AM »
O.K. USA  8)
I tried to send suspicious message (with no subject) and voila! detected  ;D
So why local communications?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 05:56:11 AM »
Local communications really means "should avast scan call to localhost:xxx" where xxx is the port.

Avast scans (by default) any application that makes calls to a server (something like my.mailserver.com) at port 110 for POP3 mail and calls to a server (something like my.smtpserver.com) at port 25 for SMTP sent mail. 

YahooPops runs in your own system; the way control is passed to YahooPops is that it expects to be called on localhost (localhost really means "my own system") port 110 to receive POP3 mail and localhost port 25 to send SMTP mail via YahooPops. 

By default avast! does not intercept calls to localhost ports (I think this is more historic than for any other reason - trying to avoid getting proxies into looping conditions).  So, unchecking that box will ensure that the mail streams going via YahooPops will be scanned.   

Good to know that your mail Yahoo mail is now being scanned. 

And remember ... you have to be in here to help and explain this to the next person who comes along needing their Yahoo, Hotmail or whatever scanned.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 06:06:02 AM by alanrf »

Zagor

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 06:00:03 AM »
Ha, nice!
Thank you alanrf for this marathon.. ;)
Problem solved!  8)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 06:06:58 AM »
Don't forget to check my last edit  :D

Zagor

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 06:12:00 AM »
So all the POP3 checkers work on that principle (localhosting :))?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 06:20:37 AM »
Sorry not sure what you mean by all the POP checkers ...

If you mean all of the YahooPops, FreePops, MrPostman  ...yes they all work the same way using localhost ports (but they all have different default port numbers).

The important issue is making sure that avast! can get in to check the appropriate local ports. 

This is one of the reasons I am an avast! supporter.  The avast! team have made it remarkably easy to specify in the redirect tab interface differing ports that need to be checked for all those different POP3 converter programs ... (just as long as you remember to uncheck that "ignore local communication" box.

Other antivirus products have yet to catch up to avast! in this respect.

Zagor

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 06:29:08 AM »
And remember ... you have to be in here to help and explain this to the next person who comes along needing their Yahoo, Hotmail or whatever scanned.
Yes sir!!
Damn, its already 6h in the morning and I have an early rise. Quick, to sleep  :P
Thank you again and I will see you around  ;)