Author Topic: BSOD after updating Avast ngvss.sys  (Read 6015 times)

Offline davexnet

• Poster
Re: BSOD after updating Avast ngvss.sys
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 05:37:06 AM »
control panel/programs and features/avast/change.

Deselect the NG component.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 06:23:02 AM »
THANK YOU!  I think  :)  Will have to wait a while to make sure there are no more blue screens.

I had a little problem with this, so in case any others read this, I will fill in some details.

After doing what you said above, a screen comes up with options update, repair or modify.  I clicked on 'modify' and it gives a long list of components of Avast asking what you want to INSTALL, with everything checked.  Underneath it says 'change' and I clicked that because I thought it would give options to UNINSTALL.  Also NG was not on the list.

No, it just installed everything, lol.  Eventually I went back to the install list and figured out that NG is listed under "Secure Virtual Machine" (thanks to some of the looking I did for Eddy) so I unclicked that one as you said, and clicked 'change' again which installed everything except NG.  I could see that it removed the driver that was hopefully causing all the problems.

And now I don't have to uninstall all of Avast!

I tested by plugging in my thumb drive again.  Then I did the safe remove and unplugged the thumb drive.  Twice before when I did that I got blue screens involving this driver.  This time it did not blue screen.  I tried it again and it did not blue screen again.

Yay !  but will need to wait and see to make sure this is a final fix, as had random blue screens at other times.  But I do think it must be fixed, esp since I saw that driver come off my machine.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you Davexnet.   :-*

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
You're welcome.  I don't know if you originally did a custom install and selected the NG component, or whether you did the basic install
and this component is just bundled along with it.  I'm a user like you, but from what I've seen, this "secure virtual machine" is more like some
nutty professors science experiment rather that a reliable, useful piece of software.  I have to question the install by default of this component.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 10:57:23 PM »
I believe I just let Avast update itself when it told me an update was available.  I just assumed Avast knew what it was doing.

From what I understand from the help I got before you, the NG feature has to do with hardware virtualization, and I could be wrong, but I think that if your motherboard/processor  supports this, you can then create 'virtual machines' on one computer.  Leo (at AskLeo) has multiple versions of Windows on one computer so he can answer questions about all the versions.  I had wanted to put Win 10 in a virtual machine on my newest computer so I could play around with it, but I think that's above my tech level at present.  So I guess having protection for virtual machines is actually a good idea, in theory maybe  :)

Anyway, my older computer apparently does not support hardware virtualization (I assume yours does not either) and thus the NG problem.  That machine is a 2007 Dell, with Vista still supported, so seems Avast would know not to install NG...but 'nobody's perfect'   ???

Anyway, without your help I would have already uninstalled Avast and installed another antivirus program, which I am glad I did not have to do.  I have used Avast for many years and it has served me very well, except for once I decided to upgrade to the paid version, out of gratitude for all the free time, but Avast developed a problem, and after the year was up I went back to the free version, problem gone.  So I'm still on 'free.'

Thanks again so much, Davexnet, I had just about given up on ever fixing this and not looking forward to the hassle of getting a new av program!    :D

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »
PS: I just looked on my newer machine and I have the NG virtual machine thingie installed, and Avast is doing ok so far.