Author Topic: Avast Secureline Extremely Slow With Torrents  (Read 30698 times)

REDACTED

Avast Secureline Extremely Slow With Torrents
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
My Avast Secureline is extremely slow when trying to download torrents to the point where there are some of them that will not connect.

I have tried connecting to every other location with absolutely no difference other than being worse.

I have the latest update of Avast, and "nothing" has changed on my end, and this has just suddenly started.

When I shut off the VPN, my speeds are incredible, but when I activate it again it is right back to the same thing.

This is very frustrating since I usually have great speeds with this product.

Halp!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Secureline Extremely Slow With Torrents
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
The problem is with the feeders/seeders.
They (almost always) can't handle encrypted data since they don't have/run a server.

Best solution is not to use torrents.
There is no need for it anyway.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:23:18 AM »
???...Really? Everything was working fine from before, and now suddenly it's changed?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 04:04:56 AM »
Best solution is not to use torrents.
There is no need for it anyway.

I'm going to assume that you are part of the Avast management team. If not it still applies just to a lesser degree I suppose. The OP pays for a service. I assume he earns his money like many of us. He has elected to utilize the service and found an issue while attempting to do so. He presented his problem and asked for a solution. I don't believe that he asked for a judgmental opinion regardless of how veiled it was. Avast understands what part of it's market share is based off of this type of usage. A usage that to my knowledge is not discussed in the EULA. Why? Because ya'all want my money.

In defense of the OP, I think you should keep these unsolicited opinions to yourself.

As to the initial question, I also think that if you are part of the support staff that a little more effort could have been made in answering it effectively.

In the end, I did hear you loud and clear. You don't wish for me to purchase your VPN service. It's seems to be too much trouble for you.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:13 AM »
Hi,

No, I can assure you he isn't part of Avast's management team :-)

Please try to connect via our data center locations in Seattle, NY, Miami, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, or Prague.  Those locations are better suited to handle torrent traffic.

Hope this helps,

Davidek

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »
I'm going to assume that you are part of the Avast management team.
As it is for anybody else, the Avast team members are identified just below their names.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »
As Davidek said, I am not part of the avast team.
They can't afford to pay me ;D

Davidek,
it seems that the OP already tried those servers.
I have tried connecting to every other location with absolutely no difference other than being worse.

a1mck,
have you tried just with one torrent client or with multiple ?
It could be the used client is (part of) the problem.
I ran some test today and didn't found any slowdown at all while using Opera.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »
Hi Davidek,

I live in Canada, and I'm close to the Seattle data centre, and that has been the one that I've always been connected to. Just recently, it became very, very slow, but only for torrents. I tried every connection that you provided, and they were all slow. Now, I've connected to Salt Lake City, and my speeds are back up to where they should be. I'm at a loss as to why this has happened, and I guess I'll just have to keep trying different locations until I hit upon one that works if it happens again.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the product, and I especially like the simplicity of it.

Hi,

No, I can assure you he isn't part of Avast's management team :-)

Please try to connect via our data center locations in Seattle, NY, Miami, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, or Prague.  Those locations are better suited to handle torrent traffic.

Hope this helps,

Davidek

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
Hi aimck,

Thanks for posting back with additional info.  I will pass this along to our NetOps guys for further checking.

Best regards,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
Avast VPN pretty much halts my torrent traffic. additionally, my internet speeds over all are extremely slow. as the other user stated, this is recent. additionally, there are uses for torrents. just thought i'd point that out.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »
Hi futurist,

Please try again while connected to one of our data centers in Seattle, NYC, Miami in the US or Amsterdam, Frankfurt, or Prague in Europe.

Could you please let us know if you still face this issue with not working and massive slow down of connection speed?

Thanks,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm new here (this is actually my first post), but I am experiencing the same problem, mainly with the torrent speed, but also with the browsing speed. This has all been goin on for about a week, after I reinstalled Windows and the Avast programs. I had no problem before that.

Trying to locate the problem, I noticed I have two internet connections in "Network and Sharing Center" : my home network, with internet access, and a second one, stated as public (and I can't change it to home or anything else), which has no internet access.

When VPN is not connected, it all works fine through my home network. As soon as i try to connect to vpn, I get the big red X between "multiple networks" and "internet". At first I thought this may be because of my router, but the problem only appears when I connect to the vpn.

So, I'd really appreciate it if anybody could help me out with a solution.

Many thanks!

A.G.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
Hi Hail_ady,

I will pass this info to our Network Operations team.  It's also useful to open a Support ticket with your log file.  You can get that by going to C: Program Data, Avast Software, Avast, Log.  The file is secureline.txt is the one to attach.

If you don't see Program Data, then go to c: select "organize" in top left, then folder and search options, then view, then select "show hidden folders and drives"

Many thanks,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I only read your message today, after having gone on a business trip. I'll be back on the 30th, I'll open the ticket then. I hope it's not too late.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
Before submitting a ticket when you get back, test things first.
It can be things have improved by then. ;)