Author Topic: Avast is adding a tag to my Gmail  (Read 22252 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Avast is adding a tag to my Gmail
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 12:28:58 AM »
Where do I go to disable this automatic signature? I am considering uninstalling the web shield if it is going to be this intrusive.

Don't these settings do it (disable) for you (see attachment)?

Didn't have the mail shield installed. So no settings. I had to install mail shield, tick the settings off, and then uninstall it. It was a pain in the ass. If web shield is going to be altering gmail, the setting should be in the web shield settings too.

I agree, it should be understood that whatever optional activity Avast might perform the option to enable or disable that option should be available to the user, in the event the option is unavailable as a result of something that is not install then the activity should by default not occur in that circumstance.

Put simply: If an option to change an optional action by Avast is not available then the action should not occur by default.  This is not only common courtesy but common sense.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 01:12:17 AM »
This is the first time that it has been included/possible to scan webmail so something has been missed, for those who haven't installed the Mail Shield.

It has already been stated that duplication of the settings is going to be in both the Mail and Web Shields for those using webmail and not having the Mail Shield installed. As an avast user like yourselves I don't know when this is likely to happen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 10:11:34 AM »
Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback. We are making the option to disable more visible and easy to find out.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 03:03:28 PM »
Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback. We are making the option to disable more visible and easy to find out.

Thanks for the clarification, any time frame for this change to be implemented ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 11:45:18 AM »
I'm a AVAST subscriber using the paid version who updated to the latest version 4 days ago. Today I realized that my sent emails from both Google Chrome and Firefox were having this 'signature' added to all my emails.

I attempted to edit the .INI file (faster than reinstalling), but was unable to save the changes, as AVAST was running.

I then attempted to 'Modify' the installation and add the Mail Shield, which I've never had installed or used before. The modify did NOT add the feature in.

I then uninstalled an reinstalled AVAST with the Mail Shield feature, then went into it's settings and unchecked everything, then disabled Mail Shield. I continued to see the banner added to my outgoing emails.

Infuriated, I've uninstalled AVAST, and have no intention of using it, or recommending it ever again to anyone.

This is a poor roll out of your latest version. Not to mention the fact that 'auto-update' was removed for existing subscribers and a new 'Premier' version added for an additional cost.

You've lost me as a customer because of this.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »
It's already fixed in the latest beta: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=15.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »

- It happened with the users consent.
- It is not a pain to change the setting at all.
- It has nothing to do with a persons privacy at all. No private details are revealed.
- It is not a advertisement, just a simple line saying the mail has been scanned and no malicious things are found in it.

Do not blame the tree while you are the one that drove the car when you hit it.

Wrong.
It's clearly an advertisement that says specifically:
"This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast." with a linked logo and URL to Avast's site.
The logo itself is a track-able image served by avast:
https://ipmcdn.avast.com=/images/logo-avast-v1.png

There's posts from 2014 that suggest they've been doing this for the free version all along.
Being a PAYING CUSTOMER, I'm extremely angry that this was 'accidentally' enabled on the latest paid update.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »
It's already fixed in the latest beta: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=15.0

Yeah... thanks, but... ahhhhh... no.

I'm not beta testing for Avast. Especially after this debacle.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 12:16:11 PM »
Well, the beta is stable, but that's up to you.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »
I attempted to edit the .INI file
There was and is no reason at all to change the ini file manually.
Simply making a change in the settings through the GUI will do the job.
I then uninstalled an reinstalled AVAST with the Mail Shield feature
There was no need to uninstall avast.
You could have added the mail shield through control panel.
Not to mention the fact that 'auto-update' was removed for existing subscribers
auto-update has never been removed.