Author Topic: sygate forums?  (Read 32844 times)

1600e

sygate forums?
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:48:05 PM »
Hey guys, is it me or have the guys at symantec pulled the sygate forums? i know some of you clever guys use or used to use it? i still am at the moment
cheers D  :) :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: sygate forums?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 04:42:03 PM »
As far as I know, Sygate has been discontinued by Symantec. They bought it, but also they shut it down... so closing some of those forums was kind of expected somehow. I don't know...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

1600e

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 06:16:21 PM »
yep symantics bought it and promtly droped the sygate  elements but the forum remained but it looks like they have finally pulled the plug on this now ,ah well comodo personal firewall is looking good to me?
cheers d

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »
You may also consider using Kerio. It's not dead like I already mentioned tens of times in this and some other forums. Besides, take a peek in here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17812.0

It's closed deal, so wonderful Kerio will live after all !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Jarmo P

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 07:33:25 PM »
Hey guys, is it me or have the guys at symantec pulled the sygate forums? i know some of you clever guys use or used to use it? i still am at the moment
cheers D  Smiley Smiley

Yes 1600e, seems they did. :(
The moderators who were just volunteers in the site did not take it lightly. Red Jack emailed me how they felt.

I would continue to use Sygate as a light free firewall.
Or use Kerio 4.2.2 like I do currently, some 20 MB memory usage.

Not sure about that Comodo so much advertised in this forum. I looked at the user interface, nothing like Kerio. Also some talks about it not working using a limited XP user account.

1600e

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 07:57:31 PM »
thanks for replys guys, question answered
hi jarmo p, yes i had contact with red jack,anialator and mats when i had problems,although not too many ,but its not the way to treat people. have they moved to wilders as they were talking about doing?
i have been looking at a few alternatives ,kerio 4.2 and have 2.1,also
saftey net, jpf wall,ghostwall and of course Comodo  for which i have been following the threads on here with great interest.
shame about sygate used it for years never got caught out and reliable.,ah well move on.
cheers dean ;) ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:03:55 PM »
Not sure about that Comodo so much advertised in this forum. I looked at the user interface, nothing like Kerio. Also some talks about it not working using a limited XP user account.

User Interface is much more extended than Kerio's if you haven't noticed, by the way it doesn't give any kind of GUI problems when for example Azureus is open and running, or even LimeWire... like Kerio does, sometimes even half of the GUI is missing, and not just here, but on many other computers. Many people already reported that and nothing is solved in latest build.

Comodo doesn't have any problems with limited account, it works with limited accounts without any problems. Problems start to occure when you have to switch users... that's different. Anyway I have had no problems with it... just FYI I use Kerio right now. I was just testing Comodo and it seems like promissing firewall.

Also, I don't see how Comodo can be advertized in this forum when it's completely freeware product, so no need to advertize it.  ;)

We do that very often in these forums. We do nice reviews just like in that thread where you "saw" that Comodo add... we test it so people can decide should they proceed with installation or not... that's all. Everyone is entitled to use what suits him/her the best.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 08:05:55 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Jarmo P

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 08:22:50 PM »
I agree Sasha.

Not that I see that comodo having advantage in GUI over Kerio.
It is still much less user friendly and Kerio more is for power users wanting all in their access, including mistakes.
Except those malfunctions you mentioned that I have not had. I have Limeware so maybe I try some p2p :P

But I agree that our forum readers have a right to choose and also freedom to post their preferences. Just like you have. Or me, hehe.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 08:29:32 PM »
I couldn't agree more with you on this one... I was also talking about UI not GUI, but while I was there, I also mentioed GUI as well.

I totally agree, Kerio became so easy to use and still it's quite configurable, so something for everyone I guess. It's just makes me so angry when I see no one is doing anything regarding those GUI problems because it's not just ugly, but annoying as well... sometimes whole GUI freezes for let's say 30 seconds, but the good thing is... only when Azureus or Limewire are up and running. I have no clue why, but I've seen so many reports regarding that and still no solution on horizon.

I just hope Sunbelt will do something regarding those little issues very soon. It's too good firewall to be abandoned just like that, right ?

Cheers !

Jarmo P

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 08:48:30 PM »
Well, Sasha, you have the talent for graphics. For me the GUI is not so ugly, but the UI is definately for power users. Felixible, but also easy to make mistakes.

I have to test Limeware to see if that happens. I rarely have a need to bring up Kerio GUI though. It runs in the background and no need to touch it. But I will test and give my report post if I notice some malfunction in GUI.

Already I have seen some little faults in packet filter rules, when trying to make a rule order and sometimes it just does not keep it like I tell.
Nothing serious though.

Sygate is a good firewall IMO for any reading this thread. I might go back if Symantec gives me a free copy of Pro, LOL.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 08:54:39 PM »
Again (lol)... I never said GUI is ugly, just that problem with GUI is ugly and annoying. See here:

...It's just makes me so angry when I see no one is doing anything regarding those GUI problems because it's not just ugly, but annoying as well...

Ok, maybe I should have put something like this: "...GUI problems because those GUI issues are not just ugly, but annoying as well..."

GUI itself is very clean and causy and I myself found it very nice and easy to navigate through. Nothing like Kerio GUI is ugly, no way... far from that...

Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 11:04:43 PM »
Kerio GUI is not ugly is just buggy.
You can't open it without a glass hour mice for a lot of time, you can see parts of the background through it...
Man, I never see such a good firewall (or fantastic firewall) with a terrible buggy GUI...  :P
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »
Tech and Sasha, not sure but this might help you.

I read somewhere that 'Resolve address' feature you can disable with a right click takes a lots of "power".

Not using it might make the GUI response better.

PS
Wish Sunbelt will add a backtrace or 'who is this IP' in the future build of Kerio like Sygate has.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 03:58:40 PM »
Sorry not following this... Resolve address feature ? Where is that located ? I can't find anything like that, especially not by right-clicking Kerio icon... am I doing something wrong ?

Jarmo P

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
Well, that is when you go to log, right click there or in application or packet filter rules or in Overviw, everywhere ;)

Edit:
Already complained on tech's former skate board icon  ... I like the new one.
Yours Sasha spins too fast in my firefox, makes me dizzy :P
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 04:14:31 PM by Jarmo P »