Author Topic: Avast free antivirus behind proxy - manual update works - automatic update fails  (Read 5330 times)

REDACTED

Dear All,

I see some strange behaviour of avast free antivirus 2015 and 2016.
There is a non transparent squid proxy server in my LAN.
My PCs (win7, win8, no desktop firewall) are well configured to use is for browsing etc (automatic detection via wpad)

As I saw no "automatic proxy feature" to configure in my avast installation, I configured the proxy settings manually.
My MANUAL updates work fine.

But AUTOMATIC updates do not work, after several days I still see the version I updated manually.
When I click "update manally", I get updates to the latest version.

I analyzed this automatic update behaviour on two of my PCs with wireshark.
This is what I saw:
- dns queries and answers for avast domain names
- tcp syn packets directly to Avast Internet IPs
- NO packets to my proxy server.

So obviously the avast automatic update directly tries to connect to the update servers , ignoring the proxy settings.
I saw the same behaviour with the register feature in the avast GUI --> no connecton possible.

So I would like to ask you two questions:

1) is there anyone using avast free antivirus 2015/2016 behind a proxy without the problems i described?
2) does anyone of you have an idea how to solve or workaround the behaviour I saw?

Thanks a lot!
Sepp

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Setting up the proxy details correctly in avast should work.

REDACTED

Dear Eddy,
thanks for your reply!

As my manual updates in the GUI work, I guess I inserted the proxy settings in the Avast GUI at the right place in the right way  ;)
By the way: a manual update with the command line tool "ashupd.exe" also works as designed, it utilizes the proxy information perfectly.

The only one ignoring proxy settings seems to be automatic updates :-)

You wrote: "Setting up the proxy details correctly in avast should work."
Have you seen avast free antivirus 2015/2016 working correctly with proxy settings and automatic updates?

Greetings,
Sepp

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Yes, I have seen it work in/with 2015 lots of times.
I used to have a computer (related) service and installed avast 100's of times, including for people who use a proxy.
I have not seen it working with 2016 simply because I never have installed that version.

I suggest you try it with a other proxy server and see if that is working.
If it is, the problem is with the current proxy server.