Author Topic: avast! & Incredimail  (Read 4597 times)

youngabe

avast! & Incredimail
« on: December 07, 2005, 12:19:31 AM »
Hello,

I currently use Incredimail as my E-Mail client.  I have avast! set to "Insert note into clean messages." selected under the "POP" tab and the "SMTP" tab.  When I receive E-Mail in Incredimail the certification note is on the message.  If I send an E-Mail, it is not attached.  I know this because I have one other webmail account.  How can I get it to insert the certification into my outbound messages in Incredimail.

If I use Outlook Express, the certification is in outbound and inbound messages just fine.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: avast! & Incredimail
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 03:23:06 AM »
I know this because I have one other webmail account.

That tends to suggest that you are using Incredimail to access Webmail accounts.  Are both of the accounts involved here really Webmail accounts or is one of them a regular POP3 account where you are using a POP3 server to get your mail and an SMTP server to send it?

You can, if you wish, create (for a while) a more detailed avast! log of your mail connections that will at least show if avast is intercepting your outbound mail.

You can get the mailscanner to log your connections by editing the avast4.ini file (in  Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA folder).

In the section headed:

[MailScanner]

add the line:

Log=20

and save the updated file.

The log will be in Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\ashmaisv.log

youngabe

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 04:00:22 AM »
No, I have a regular POP3 account and I am NOT using Incredimail to access my Netscape webmail account.  I only use Incredimail to access my ISP provided E-Mail.  If I use Incredimail, avast! will certify my inbound mail, but if I send E-Mail, it will not certify the outbound mail.  I know this because I have a Netscape Webmail account and if I send an E-Mail from my ISP account to my Webmail account using Incredimail it will not certify the outbound mail.  If I send an E-Mail from my ISP account to my Webmail account using Outlook Express, the outbound mail has been certified.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 05:57:55 AM »
Then try the logging of your connections with Incredimail and let's see what happens.

youngabe

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 09:54:46 PM »
After a couple of entries, shall I post the results?

youngabe

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 10:54:05 PM »
I believed I narrowed the issue down a bit...

I noticed that when I have IncrediMail send an E-Mail in "Plain Text" the outbound certification shows up just fine.  Any suggestions?

As you may know the point of Incredimail is the neat emoctions, so constantly sending in Plain Text is not an option!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 11:05:05 PM »
I believed I narrowed the issue down a bit...
I noticed that when I have IncrediMail send an E-Mail in "Plain Text" the outbound certification shows up just fine.  Any suggestions?
As you may know the point of Incredimail is the neat emoctions, so constantly sending in Plain Text is not an option!
If you search the board for MIME keyword you'll find that some email clients send the text and the HTML part (like the emoticons) in different messages. So, sometimes, you won't see the clean note.
If I'm not wrong, alanrf is an user that made very good posts about this.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 11:23:27 PM »
You have established that avast! is scanning the messages since you have seen the "clean note" in a plain text message.

Are you able to display the source of one the "regular" Incredimail messages you send to yourself? 

I suspect that Incredimail is sending out your messages as multipart/alternative and that avast! is inserting the "clean note" into the plain text portion of the message.  When you display the message in your Webmail you are getting to see the "alternative" html version of the message - emoticons and all. 

One extra confirmation test if you can.  Try sending yourself a message with an attachment - a small jpg file or something like that.  I rather suspect that when an attachment is included you will see the avast "clean note" show up as well.   

youngabe

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:46:10 PM »
Yes, I am able to view the message source and see that it is being scanned and certified, but I cannot see it for posted reason. 

Is there anyway to get it to always be seen?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 11:01:09 PM »
Simple answer is "no".

If you'd like to read a fuller explanation (it was for a Gmail user) but I believe you are seeing the same condition with Incredimail go to this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17357.msg148493#msg148493