Author Topic: Why does Avast scan so slow?  (Read 4485 times)

Offline CursedDICE

Why does Avast scan so slow?
« on: November 22, 2015, 02:31:33 AM »
I always run full scan once a week and the latest version of Avast is just so slow. Started scanning 90 minutes ago and it's not even 50% there. On the old version of Avast it took, 1 hour, 90 minutes at the worst

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Why does Avast scan so slow?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »
Things change.

Some of them are :
- The content of your drive
- The amount of things avast can detect
- The things (files/folders) avast can check
- What you have running (in the background)

Even your room temperature influences the speed of the system.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
I always run full scan once a week and the latest version of Avast is just so slow. Started scanning 90 minutes ago and it's not even 50% there. On the old version of Avast it took, 1 hour, 90 minutes at the worst

Did you do a clean install ?
Or possibly use some cleanup tool, like CCleaner, etc. ?

1. AvastUI > Scan > Scan for viruses > select the scan you are doing - at the bottom of the screen > Scan Settings > Performance. Scan Priority, Persistent cache & File access.

A clean install will lose the persistent cache, this will have to be rebuilt over a few scans. Not only that you go back to default scan settings (if you made any changes). Such as, not storing data about scanned files in the persistent cache, if you aren't populating the persistent cache, then it doesn't have any data to speed the scan.

2. If using a cleanup tool it could be clearing some avast data files this could impact on the scan if the persistent cache is cleared. Don't let a cleaner clear any avast folders/files unless you know what the impact might be.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CursedDICE

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 06:17:17 PM »
I quit it and restarted. Got the whole thing done in an hour. Made for a very late night since it starts at midnight automatically