Author Topic: Possible bug???  (Read 7055 times)

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Possible bug???
« on: December 09, 2005, 02:43:21 PM »
Hello to all ;D

I think that I've found something like a bug in the program, but I'm not quite sure, so here I go:

When I extract a infected file from an archive avast! detects this file and a warning window appear, so far so good, but after I give the option Delete (the case is the same as with the options Move to Chest and Move/Rename) the program deletes the file and after that cames another warning window for the same file and the same location, and when I give the program for example Delete again it says that the system cannot find the file specified, and that is obvious, because before that avast! has deleted the same file and after that the warning window appear again and it won't stop until you give the option "No action"
Is this some kind of bug?

I hope that you will understand what I mean, because it's hard for me to explain it  :)

Heres and some screenshots from the warnings:
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Possible bug???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 03:10:58 PM »
Well... that's something like a known issue. Maybe we could call it Rejzor's bug ;)
Basically, the problem occurs only when extracting to desktop. I'd say it's really a bug, but hidden somewhere deep in the resident protection core and it won't be easy to find it. Let's hope Vlk will check it out.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 03:20:34 PM »
Well... that's something like a known issue. Maybe we could call it Rejzor's bug ;)
Basically, the problem occurs only when extracting to desktop. I'd say it's really a bug, but hidden somewhere deep in the resident protection core and it won't be easy to find it. Let's hope Vlk will check it out.
I didn't noticed that before, so I decided to post it. Let's hope you'll find the error  :)
Thanks for the info Igor.   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »
After I give the option Delete (the case is the same as with the options Move to Chest and Move/Rename) the program deletes the file and after that cames another warning window for the same file and the same location, and when I give the program for example Delete again it says that the system cannot find the file specified, and that is obvious, because before that avast! has deleted the same file and after that the warning window appear again and it won't stop until you give the option "No action"
I saw this sometimes... Sometimes for me it seems a double detection: more than one provider detects it.
Igor, I never 'extract' or use desktop to download files and I still have this trouble from time to time.
The best things in life are free.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 03:33:05 PM »
Basically, the problem occurs only when extracting to desktop.
BTW I've checked and the problem occurs not only when extracting on the Desktop :-\
It appears when extracting everywhere.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 03:36:34 PM »
OK, more precisely - the problem appears when the file is accessed immediatelly after it's extracted. I supposed it's usually the case of Desktop (which is watching for the changes in the folder to update the content).

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 09:13:59 PM »
Hmm with the latest update(4.6.744) this problem seems to be solved, but...
I've got another one appeared  :-\

When I extract an archive for example on the desktop, avast detects the virus and I got only one notification, not two like before. but if I choose the option "No action", which means that avast should block the access to the file, avast don't block the access. When I click on the file I've got the virus warning window again and not the window where windows tell me that it doesn't have access to the file. Is this normal ?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 09:27:47 PM »
I don't understand what you're saying. It behaves as expected on my machine...

What do you mean, "if I choose the option "No action", which means that avast should block the access to the file, avast don't block the access." How come, don't block the access?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 09:40:14 PM »
The option "No action", which means that avast should block the access to the file, avast don't block the access.
No action is no action... access is not blocked.

When I click on the file I've got the virus warning window again and not the window where windows tell me that it doesn't have access to the file. Is this normal ?
Yes. The Standard Shield is detecting the virus while the file is being 'read': size, name, etc. from Windows Explorer.
Just putting the mouse over it and you'll see the warning. It's normal.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 09:58:32 PM »
Well usually when avast! finds a virus and I click the option "No action", and after that I try to access that file I get the window(see the screenshot)
But now when avast! find a virus, I click "No action", and after that I try to access that file I get another warning window.
I hope you will understand it now  :-\

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 10:11:29 PM »
The first warning occurs when the file is written (on-write).
The second one when Explorer opens the file (on-open).

BTW Technical, of course, the infected file IS denied access to in any case... I.e. even if you select No Action, it doesn't mean you can activate the virus... :)

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 10:17:46 PM »
The first warning occurs when the file is written (on-write).
The second one when Explorer opens the file (on-open).

OK then,so there is nothing wrong, thanks for the explanation Vlk :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 01:38:56 AM »
BTW Technical, of course, the infected file IS denied access to in any case...
To whom?
I can view the file, I can run the file, access denied?
Which process block which operation over the infected file?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 07:36:47 AM »
This sounds similar to a situation I encountered awhile back.

It was an OE email. When it was downloaded, it was detected. I used the delete button, the same email was detected, used delete button, recieved message that avast couldn't find the file(something like that, the exact message is in an old post some where), chosing no action allowed the download to continue. It did this with at least 2 more messages that night. Now upon reflection , I am sure the infected attachment was stripped off when the where placed in the inbox.  And no, they where not duplicate emails, I only recieved half of what was detected. ie 6 where detected, in fact there was only 3.

Maybe there is a small bug under certain conditions?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 09:59:31 AM »
Technical, are you saying that you managed to run an infected file on your machine, even with avast Standard Shield enabled?? That would be a *bug*, of course... :)

oldman - although it sounds similar, I'm afraid this problem is unrelated. The STandard Shield works very differently from the mail scanners (internally). The problem you're describing it probably related to avast's inability to delete files off certain archive types...

Thanks
Vlk