Author Topic: Why am I seeing ads in Avast Pro?  (Read 12016 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Why am I seeing ads in Avast Pro?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
At least these adds are not as annoying as the pop-up's

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 05:21:13 PM »

With all due respect Eddy, I feel that is a matter of opinion of which I don't share.
And frankly for me, the point is the "adds" not the kind of add.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »
Indeed, but annoys when we open the interface. Are they there for this? For us not opening the interface?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »
Just when I mention, in another post, that there is nothing really irritating me with the new version. I thought someone had a handle on preventing dumb stuff.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 06:57:10 PM »
If this is the direction Avast is going then after 12+ years with Avast I'll stay with them probably on the two laptops we use Avast on already but any new computers going forward which includes a two desktops I've bought but not setup yet and one more laptop will be using another AV program sadly. 

It's to bad Avast doesn't get the message, I've suggest that if they feel marketing in this way increases the revenue stream then how about doing this for NEWER Avast users.  For example progressively less ads each year (because a user will be aware of all possible ads in very short order) and perhaps eliminate them altogether for 5+ year users for free users and say down to 1+ year for paid users (if Avast absolutely insists that ads for paid users benefits them financially).  Seems to me to be a very SMART compromise which users can probably put up with.  This way Avast retains advertising for NEW folks who may respond to ads and Avast avoids losing the longer-term users who want to stay loyal and are not likely swayed by ads after a few months of using Avast anyway.  Fact is, the learning curve for products and persuasiveness of ads only lasts a short time.

I contend if their surveys or research have convinced them that ads will increase revenue stream, I say think twice, this may not be the case for users who would otherwise be steadfastly loyal users who would not switch to their AV competitors if only Avast would simply moderate the approach they take to market their products.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 07:22:08 PM »
Indeed, but annoys when we open the interface. Are they there for this? For us not opening the interface?

Potentially they are more annoying as there is no means of removing them. More so for those who have purchased the product.

This used to be the way some time ago Ad or promotion in the bottom third of the avast free UI - in the free version I have no issue with this - but now they want their cake and eat it too. Now the UI ads are back in along with the popups.

I have to say that a forced ad has never made me consider a purchase and that doesn't just mean in avast. In fact it is the reverse and for the most part I use an ad blocker so I can get on with browsing in peace. When for whatever reason I can't get rid of ads on a website, I find another website.

People have the same choice in their AV the more you push ads the greater the resistance becomes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »
In fact it is the reverse and for the most part I use an ad blocker so I can get on with browsing in peace. When for whatever reason I can't get rid of ads on a website, I find another website.
(Forced) ads are, for user, an annoyance. Always. So there are no-ads versions.
I use anti-ads wherever I can. If I can't get rid of them and I need the product, I go for pro/premium. If there is no other solution, I uninstall the app.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 12:24:13 AM »
Hi guys :)

To be honnest : I don't mind the UI advertisements in the Avast paid versions.
I don't open the Avast UI that much, and the advertisements can be interesting for me.
But that is just my personal opinion ;)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 02:27:47 AM »
Hi guys :)

To be honnest : I don't mind the UI advertisements in the Avast paid versions.
I don't open the Avast UI that much, and the advertisements can be interesting for me.
But that is just my personal opinion ;)

Greetz, Red.

Everybody holds different opinions of course, for many users they want a "clean" interface (especially if it's paid for) regardless of how many times it's used as opposed to seeing ads or promotions pushing a product that they have already so often seen before and are in virtually all cases totally aware of due to seeing the same thing previously so many times.  Some users may consider it a mystery how promotions and other special offer ads that in most cases have been so frequently repeated can be "interesting" at all. ;)  At some point, enough is enough would be the opinion of some.  ::)

Which of course is why a better approach would be to reduce the users exposure to ads scaled to how long a user has been an Avast customer that would arguably help sustain the Avast revenue stream by facilitating the retention of longer term loyal customers that would otherwise end up a loss of future revenue to Avast competitors.  Seems to me to be a very simple answer that would result in a win/win situation for both Avast and Avast users.  I think we should all be able to agree that longer term customers have seen it all many times before when it comes to Avast ads and promotions of any kind, AGREED?  So think about, how can these ads for longer term users actually help Avast?  Clearly regarding "established loyal users" the only result will intuitively be deleterious to revenue stream simply based on common sense!  ::)

Rednose, You would at least agree that it would not bother you if, as along term customer, you did not see the ads, right?  It shouldn't be whether the ads are a bother or that some user ultimately succumb to the ads by purchasing a product just to reduce the level of ads but rather what is preferential in general for "longer term Avast users" and in turn help sustain the current customer base of loyal long-term Avast customers. 

Rednose, You would agree that it is virtually undeniable that given a poll on the subject those on the "like ads" end of the polling would be substantially relegated to the very few, RIGHT?.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »
Opened my GUI, and this is what I saw. ( see attachment.) :o

Getting ridiculous, sorry I renewed now.

Offline skinnypops

• backup, backup, backup
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »
my opinion. what's the big deal? i barely notice ads in ui as when i open it i have a purpose in mind. and yes i am using the free version at the moment,but when i get paid version i still won't notice much.

skinnypops
new HP , amd a10-8700p quad core @ 1.8 gig radeon r6 graphics ,dedicated radeon r8 2gb graphics card, 8 gig ddr3-1600 memory, 1 tb hdd, win 10x64 home 1607 build 14393.1066, avast free 17.3.2291,  windows firewall, mbae free, mbam free, open dns, cryptoprevent, mcshield, paragon bu & recovery 2015,system explorer