Author Topic: Are you ripping people off??? I think you are ....  (Read 2705 times)

REDACTED

Are you ripping people off??? I think you are ....
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »
I suspect you probably are. 

I purchased your Avast Premiere option in August with mobile add on - about £130.  I installed the software on my brand new lap top.  Last night - mid way through typing a University assignment my laptop suffered a blue screen error.  It would restart so I had no other option than to 'reset' it.  This was the only way I could access my hard drive to remove all the files I needed and the one I was in the middle of working on during the 'blue screen' episode.  Because I'd had to reset the laptop it took off all the applications I had added (including Avast and Office 365 which I had purchased at the same time).  In order to access my documents first I had to re-install the Windows products.  It gave no choice or any options other than to install the latest Windows 10 (Nov 15) version.  This I did.  Pulled my documents off on to a memory stick then set about re-installing Avast.  I don't know if it is a compatibility issue or something with Avast/Windows 10 but I believe lots of users have experienced issues and problems.  No doubt there will be a patch along from Microsoft to fix these in due course. 

Attempting to re-install your Avast software caused another blue screen episode and a complete reset of the laptop and reinstallation of Windows 10.  I decided to call your technical support team to talk me through reinstalling Avast (as I had paid over a £100 for it just 2 months ago!!!) in case I was doing something wrong.  The chap I spoke to sent me an email with a licence key link doc attached which when I tried to download would not open ... this is where it gets interesting ...

He then declared there was something 'seriously' wrong with my computer drivers and hardware.  Proceeded to show me 'error' screens (indicating I had a possible issue with Outlook Mail/Calendar - who cares!  I don't use it - that's probably why it wasn't loaded properly!!) and tried to 'frighten' me to pay a further £129 for secondary support!!!  I questioned why as I had paid £100 for premiere - the best according to your site - and I wanted him to help me around re-loading it.  He continually talked over me quickly flipped the screen over to a 'order and pay now' form (!!!) and basically said I had serious issues that needed sorting. 

I told him in that case - as the laptop is barely 2 months old - as is my software and security software (ie yours) I would rather take it back to the retailer as I had a three year guarantee.  He then, very aggressively and rudely, went on to say that it was 'my' fault that I'd broken 'my' laptop and that no-one would look at it now.  That there was 'no-one' that would repair it or touch it because I had 'installed' the software that broke it. !!!???????!!!! Now I've already explained to him that I was mid typing a sentence when the laptop shut down.  I had no option but to reinstate my Microsoft products to retrieve my documents and I had no option with which version of Windows was put on my machine.  It was bought and paid for so why shouldn't I reinstall it??  My issue is with Avast not running with Windows 10 properly and - if as he was trying to later say - I had a virus then clearly Avast wasn't worth the microchip its written on!!!!

This is a very poor way to behave with your 'paying' customers.  It isn't a technical support help line - its an upsell rip off customers line.  I've just run all the updates and checks I need to on my machine and it is not 'broken' by me as I was told.  Its up to date.  I suspect the error messages he was showing me were purely to scare me in to paying £129.  This type of business tactic is wrong.  There has been a lot of publicity in the UK in the last few weeks about this type of sales technique and you people ought to be ashamed of yourselves.  I want to cancel my 'self renewing' subscription with you (keep that bit quiet too don't you?) and I want all my money refunded.  I wouldn't use you people on principle.  Not have being spoken to in an aggressive rude manner like that.  I am going back to Norton who I was with for 8 years and were nothing but helpful with their live tech chat support. 

I am not an idiot.  I know when someone is trying to rip me off.  I doubt this will make it on the forum but, I will not stop with this until I get a full refund and an apology.  Even if the issue was 'my fault' (which I highly doubt) your employee had no right to talk to me like that.  Ever.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Are you ripping people off??? I think you are ....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
Phone support is from a third party company, and you are not the first to complain ... try forum search

for contacting avast scroll down to Submit A Ticket   https://support.avast.com/support/home

Support: Submitting a support file using the Avast Support Tool https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB33#artTitle

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:33:59 PM by Pondus »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:31:26 PM »
You did not spoke with avast but a third party company that only handles a few things for avast.
This has been explained a huge amounts of times on this webboard already.

Report your experience to Vojta Nekvapil: nekvapil[at]avast.com (3rd Party Support Manager)

What was the error on the BSOD ?
What exact version of avast did you had installed ?
If the laptop had Windows 8 (as I guess) on it, there was no need to install Windows 10.
You could have used the recovery option on the laptop or the recovery dvd. (depend on how the laptop game delivered)

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:44:20 PM »
Hi Both - Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.  I did not realise it was a third party support call (in that case - how much has it cost me?!).  It should be made clear on the Avast site that that is what it is.  All it says is 'we now have a number you can call for support'.  Missleading...just a bit.

I have an ultrabook so no dvd drive.  Recover wasn't an option.  I am midway with two huge Uni assignments and had no option but to get them off here any way I could.

He was so not interested in helping me it was unbelieveable.  Just wanted money.  He answered the phone as Avast tech support too.  Very wrong. 

I've emailed their generic email address from their site but doubt I'll get a proper response. 

Apologies for repeating on here.  I did do a google search of issues with Avast support but it returned nothing so I started this and I knew it would get a response! 

Laptop seems to be working fine.  I am going to get it checked out.  Whatever I've run diagnostically tonight seems to have worked.  For now ...