Author Topic: Avast BRICKED my computer  (Read 10367 times)

REDACTED

Avast BRICKED my computer
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:16:59 AM »
Went to uninstall the software because my subscription was expiring, and I wanted to use a different company, I followed the prompt to restart my computer, and now it won't boot up. It is completely bricked. I cannot even get it to boot in safe mode. Call customer service and some IDIOT had the freaking nerve to try and sell me more software. Barely spoke english! This is complete garbage. I demand Avast either repairs or replaces my $1200 laptop.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast BRICKED my computer
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:55:50 AM »
See: "If you cannot  Boot the computer"
Instructions: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:28:26 AM »
Avast can't be the cause you can't boot in Safe Mode...
Sorry, you seem to have installed some other security software that blocks Avast installation and now is blocking Windows.
Or, things are much more simpler and you could really boot in Safe Mode and run Avast uninstallation from there.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:40:56 PM »
If any of you would go on google, and look at what your customers are saying all over the internet, you would find that this is an extremely EXTREMELY common problem with your junk software. The only way to resolve the issue it seems is to do a hard reset. Which is going to cause me to lose ALL my files. Why does a customer have to go through a thousand steps to simply uninstall a program??? It's a joke. And IF we do need to download MORE software to uninstall other software (which is behind idiotic considering we want to remove your crap in the 1st place), Maybe, just maybe, you should actually tell people that before they uninstall it, and have to go on Google after their computer has already bricked, and find out from pencil whipping techs that have no clue about the products they are selling!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:47:08 PM by mustang123 »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:43:51 PM »
And fyi, my computer was running perfectly fine before this happened. Another tech trying to blame it on the customer. I have NO, NONE, ZERO-other antivirus programs on the computer. And, if I did pick up some kind of malware or virus, it's still your products fault!! Isn't that what I was paying you to protect me from???hmmm. I couldn't possibly have picked it up after I uninstalled, because my computer is bricked and won't start up!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:46:16 PM by mustang123 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »
If any of you would go on google, and look at what your customers are saying all over the internet
You seem to forget (or not know) that people that have problems will very likely post but that users without problems hardly post.
If they would do so it would be very hard to find someone who has a problem.
The only way to resolve the issue it seems is to do a hard reset
No, it is not the only way. A other way is offered to you, but so far you have not provided the requested log(s).
Which is going to cause me to lose ALL my files
There is a reason why the option to backup files was invented. Guess what would happen if e.g. your drive breaks down... Smart people have a (recent) backup.
And also, if I did pick up some kind of malware or virus, it's still your products fault!
No, it is not. It is still the users fault. avast, and tools like that, are only there to help the user not to replace the user.
What you are saying is that it is the car manufacturers fault if you get hurt while driving against a tree.

If you blame avast for the problem, also blame Microsoft for making Windows the way it is and blame yourself for not having a image of the working system.

Asyn offered you a helping hand, I suggest you take it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:18:48 PM »
Which is going to cause me to lose ALL my files.
Avast does not change or delete clean files.

Why does a customer have to go through a thousand steps to simply uninstall a program??? It's a joke.
No, every antivirus (or any other security program) requires special steps to be uninstalled due to the integration with the operational system.

And IF we do need to download MORE software to uninstall other software (which is behind idiotic considering we want to remove your crap in the 1st place)
Any serious antivirus will follow the same procedure.
Maybe you need to learn more about antivirus and security software.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »

Honestly I'm more upset with the customer service from Avast then the computer being bricked. I mean seriously,  what kind of company does not have a manager/supervisor present when a customer calls in for help. After requesting to talk to a manager several times, the idiot on the phone (Marvin), declined to transfer me, and continued to try to get me to buy some package for 179.99. I finally began to get irate, and he hung up on. I called back, and the phone rep informed me that there were no supervisors, and that he has to forward it to "2nd level" and I would receive a call back "within 24 hrs". 

This company is a joke. Should have done more research before I purchased.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:48:12 PM by mustang123 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
The phone support is NOT from avast as has been explained a huge amount of times on this webboard.
It is a third party company.

The $179,99 is one year total support from that company for several things not related to avast.
https://www.avast.com/total-support

The main question remains...
Do you want help or not ?

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »

Any serious antivirus will follow the same procedure.
Maybe you need to learn more about antivirus and security software.
[/quote]

Maybe you need to stop patronizing customers. Im sure there are things I know more about than you, for instance, how to pleasure a women, but we won't go there.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »
The phone support is NOT from avast as has been explained a huge amount of times on this webboard.

The $179,99 is one year total support from that company for several things not related to avast.

They should really look into changing that then. I honestly have never been so upset dealing with any company's customer service. I would not want people like that handling calls for my company. I appreciate your help, but I am done dealing with these people. I have a few friends who i trust, that know computers very well that are going to look at it for me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »
what kind of company does not have a manager/supervisor present when a customer calls in for help.
What about one supervisor for each of the 230 million users... It would be nice :)
By the way, instead of complaining, why don't you follow the directions of a clean installation and have it working?

1. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest Avast version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your Avast settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall Avast from Control Panel (if possible) and reboot.
5. Run the Avast Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in and follow the instructions. Reboot Windows in Safe Mode, uninstall Avast and then reboot in Normal Mode again.
6. Install Avast using the setup saved on 2. Register your free copy or add the license key for the paid versions. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Please, be patient, boot when it's said to boot...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »

Eddy, beating this drum is totally misleading - no they aren't avast, but they are contracted to provide avast program related support. You can delegate a task, but you can't delegate responsibility.

It doesn't matter how many times it has been asked and answered, that doesn't help the user that feels ripped off/conned.

The problem is who defines what is directly related to Avast-related issues the the list isn't extensive. When that is the 3rd party support it gives too much leeway to sell a support package (as far as I'm the funds don't go to avast but to the 3rd party support).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »
They should really look into changing that then
avast is already (trying to) change things and they are making progress.
Several things already have been improved.
We (as well as avast) wish things would change/improve faster but there are things that avast can't control.
To say it really simple: Company A can not force company B to do certain things.

I don't know your friends and what they know about computers ofcourse, but I strongly advise to do as Asyn suggested.
Asyn, Lisandro and I (and many others here) do not work for avast, but we do know our way around when it comes to hardware/software.
I'm almost 100% sure that your system will be up and running again without loss of data within a hour.
That is if there are no really strange things going on.

After 33+ years of working with computers, programming, building, troubleshooting etc...
I do know a thing or two about them  ;)
Build my first computer with transistors, resistors, capacitors and such..  (in 1982)

If you don't have a (recent) backup of your data I suggest to get a live-cd/dvd.
Boot from it and backup the data you want before starting to work on the system.

Ofcourse you will need to decide if you want your friends to help you or one of us here.
We will ofcourse respect your choice.

We will be here if you need us :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »
Snip from DavidR
"It doesn't matter how many times it has been asked and answered, that doesn't help the user that feels ripped off/conned".

I think this is a good point. :)