Author Topic: Avast BRICKED my computer  (Read 10364 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast BRICKED my computer
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
what kind of company does not have a manager/supervisor present when a customer calls in for help.
What about one supervisor for each of the 230 million users... It would be nice :)
By the way, instead of complaining, why don't you follow the directions of a clean installation and have it working?

1. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest Avast version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your Avast settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall Avast from Control Panel (if possible) and reboot.
5. Run the Avast Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in and follow the instructions. Reboot Windows in Safe Mode, uninstall Avast and then reboot in Normal Mode again.
6. Install Avast using the setup saved on 2. Register your free copy or add the license key for the paid versions. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Please, be patient, boot when it's said to boot...

Again, the computer will not boot. How am I supposed to install anything? And no way in hell I'm loading any of your software back on to my computer. I'll hard reset, and lose everything if I need to before I do that.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 10:14:20 PM »
It is not our software.
As I said, we do not work for avast.

As I also said, you do not have to loose anything.
Only thing you have to do is accept the help offered here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »
Which is your Windows?
Do you have Windows DVD or did you create media to clean install Windows 10?
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
I just went through most frustrating experience with this idiotic company.  This grimefighter stuff completely hosed my PC and prevented from booting up.  I have had windows 10 for few months now and never had issues until I shifted my anti-virus to Avast.  I uninstalled AVG and installed Avast and boom on reboot, its hosed up.  What is frustrating is that this company knew about these issues and used it as an opportunity to make money.  They forced me to buy their maintenance package to get out of the hole they put me in.  Their customer service is rude, careless and clearly know the problems and don't care.  I wish someone initiates a class action lawsuit on these bozos.  For all the good work that moderators and other people here are putting in to help others, I think your efforts would be far more valuable for someone else than this company which does not have the decency to accept their issues and fix them but rather uses it as opportunity to make more money.  Simply disgusting... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

And to add what most of the comments here say.. its not Avast problem.  Would you drive a car if the tire company tells you that it didn't bother to check the model/make of the car you are driving?  Duh... isn't it just a common sense that when you release your product, you better test it thoroughly before releasing it.  It could very well be Microsoft problem.. but would you still release your product?  Thank god they don't make any life sustaining products else we have to pay with our lives with the way this company works....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:24:07 AM by AP1 »

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 12:40:10 AM »
After all that gripe and zero help from Avast... For those of you who are interested in uninstalling this dumb product and getting back to business... here is what worked for me..

1. If you are using windows 10, go to Microsoft upgrade website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).  Download the Media Creation tool and create an installation media on USB.
2. Plug USB into your PC.
3. Reboot your PC and depending on your PC (Click F8, F12 or Shift+f12, mine worked with F12) continuously until the boot menu shows up.  Select USB from the menu options.  If menu options don't show USB, select windows boot manager option and disable secure boot (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn898540(v=vs.85).aspx).
4. Once PC boots from USB - it will give you options to restore without deleting your files.  Try that option.
5. For me it didn't work, so I opted for command prompt option and deleted grimefighter from command prompt (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=169311.0).
6.  Took few hrs - windows copied all the setup files and rebooted nicely.  No files were lost...
7.  Most important... uninstall Avast and all its products and install a compatible, well reviewed anti-virus product.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »
GrimeFighter was gone over 4(!) months ago.
I uninstalled AVG
Let me guess... You didn't use the uninstall tool for it. If you didn't used it before installing avast, the only one to blame for the problems is yourself.
They forced me to buy their maintenance package to get out of the hole they put me in.
No-one has forced you into anything. You could have said no. If you didn't removed avg properly before installing avast, you put yourself in that hole. The number you called is not avast but a third party as has been explained a huge amount of times. Help with avast is free.

avast is tested thoroughly but it is impossible to test it on billions of different systems/configurations.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 01:27:45 AM »
this idiotic company
Really, you're not friendly... Do you really expect us to dedicate time and efforts or this thread won't turn into anything useful?
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 02:06:02 AM »
Eddy.. you didn't read my post fully.. I uninstalled AVG.  AVG never had a problem.  The most surprising fact which you mentioned.. how did Grimefighter come into play when it was phased out 4 months ago.  The AVAST support lady even checked the date I downloaded the product and registered and said its strange that grime fighter would be in the package.

This forum is flooded with folks complaining about windows 10 and Avast.  Isn't it obvious there is a big issue with Avast & windows 10. 

To answer further, majority of folks who are hosed up and need their files back.  Do you think there is any other option than pay up?  If Avast has even checked this forum and looked at the symptoms they would have stepped up and offered free service in these specific cases, they didn't.  They were more than happy to transfer me to support.  They didn't even acknowledge there is a problem. 

Mistakes are made, its not why you made the mistake, but how you handled them that differentiates the company.  and reading the reviews clearly tells me that they knew about the problems but never bothered to fix or check it.

I did however post my feedback on how I was able to get backup after paying the maintenance fee to be told that I needed to do a clean reinstall of windows and loose my files which I didnt want to.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 02:28:47 AM »
I uninstalled AVG
Yes, that is what you say. But the question is if you used the uninstall tool and then removed all leftovers manually. If not, it can lead to problems and that has nothing to do with avast.

How GrimeFighter did come into play... Read your own post.
This grimefighter stuff completely hosed my PC
The AVAST support lady
If that was on the phone, it was not someone from avast.
To answer further, majority of folks who are hosed up and need their files back.  Do you think there is any other option than pay up?
Yes there is. It is called a backup, no need to pay anything at all.
If Avast has even checked this forum and looked at the symptoms they would have stepped up and offered free service in these specific cases, they didn't.
People from avast are active on this webboard and as I said, support for avast is free. There is no reason for avast to offer free help for software other than their own.

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »
"Company A can not force company B to do certain things".

I disagree. If company A (Avast) hires company B to perform a certain specific function, yes they can force Company B to do what they want. Or they're fired.

I think Avast has made a terrible mistake farming out the business side to another uninterested company that doesn't care about public relations.