Author Topic: Last VPS Update (0550-0)  (Read 14395 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Last VPS Update (0550-0)
« on: December 10, 2005, 10:45:11 AM »
Hi all, the latest virus database update (0550-0) is bigger than usual (almost 300K). This is because it has an improved bits of malware detection engine in it that will enable us to detect more viruses in the near future. It should also bring increased scanning speed (although that depends on many other factors).

I'd be glad if you could comment any scanning speed changes you notice with the new VPS (if any).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Last VPS Update (0550-0)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »
Thanks for explanation, as I've noticed it was unusual big. And maybe it's the reason of interesting version number. As far as I remember version ****-0 was on Mondays all the time (I mean at the start of a new week).  ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 11:21:51 AM »
Thats good to hear. I mean improvements on detection. GUI and other interface stuff along with features and tweaks are already in ADVANCED+ level. Just keep on working on detection. Thats the most important thing! I'm just heading to test avast! for some anti-termination thing and i'll also test this :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 12:29:07 PM »
That is a great news :D

Hope you continue to improve the detection of this great AV...

Thanks ;)
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 02:46:51 PM »
Great news ;D
Thanks for the info!
Now scanning to see the results :)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 03:10:11 PM »
OK, I think that I found a problem  :-\

While I was doing the scan(Normal scan with enabled scanning archives files) avast! found a virus(Win32:Trojan-Gen. {VC}) in file called Uninstal.exe( BTW this is a false positive), and pressed the Repair button and the scanning proceed.In the end the report said that the file was successful repaired. After that I made a manual scan only on that file with ashQuick and avast! found that virus again, I pressed the repair button again and avast! said that the file was repaired again, but actually the file wasn't repaired, because thats a false positive.  :-\

EDIT: I forgot to say that this file was detected as false positive and before, but it was fixed, and now again...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 03:18:08 PM by .:X:M:A:S:. »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 04:00:40 PM »
Generally Trojans can't be repaired as it isn't an infected file and I wouldn't have thought that the Repair button would be live (allow the option).
So it would appear that the FP on an existing exe file that may possibly have been scanned by the VRDB (?) may allow the repair option to be attempted. That would explain why it would appear the repair completed with success as it hadn't changed (been infected).

Being an FP detection could also explain why it would be detected again even after repair.

I guess you will have to send it to virus @ avast.com again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 04:11:24 PM »
Generally Trojans can't be repaired as it isn't an infected file and I wouldn't have thought that the Repair button would be live (allow the option).
So it would appear that the FP on an existing exe file that may possibly have been scanned by the VRDB (?) may allow the repair option to be attempted. That would explain why it would appear the repair completed with success as it hadn't changed (been infected).

Being an FP detection could also explain why it would be detected again even after repair.

I guess you will have to send it to virus @ avast.com again.

I've already send the file to virus[at]avast[dot]com :)

BTW the full system scan took faster that usual  ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 04:15:31 PM by .:X:M:A:S:. »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 09:54:12 PM »
I think the Repair buttom is always live (not greyed), but it works only when it's possible to use the VRDB

So it would appear that the FP on an existing exe file that may possibly have been scanned by the VRDB (?) may allow the repair option to be attempted.
A false positive, a real virus or any other unrepairable virus. I think Repair will be always there. Works only when it's possible.

That would explain why it would appear the repair completed with success as it hadn't changed (been infected).
This is the strange part... I mean, the repair being completed...

Again, my opinion is that this is not related with a false positive or real infection. Being detected again is due to the virus behavior (mutating, changing, appearing in other files, reinfecting, etc.) and the avast! detection but not with being a false positive.
A false positive could be detected just once... repaired, deleted, etc. and does not appear anymore.
The strange, again, is a sucesfull repair...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 11:58:09 PM »
I thought that avast were making changes to only offers options that are relevant to the infected file. Even if it may not be one that the VRDB would usually assist in the repair.

I did a test with eicar.com and ashQuick.exe and tried a repair (note the mention of the VRDB) which failed.

So I don't understand how it could complete with success yet still detect an infection on the repaired file.
To me that indicates if the repair was a success then detected again the detection (initial or second) may be suspect. Especially when you consider that this file was previously classed as an FP and resolved only to come back.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 12:52:10 AM »
I thought that avast were making changes to only offers options that are relevant to the infected file. Even if it may not be one that the VRDB would usually assist in the repair.
Maybe you're right and I'm wrong... I'm not sure this was changed is last versions  ::) ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 01:04:26 AM »
No, that was my assumption that this was to change but obviously it hasn't, otherwise I shouldn't have been able to select repair.

By being able to run a repair on eicar.com which isn't in a system or program files folder I wouldn't have thought that it would be in the VRDB, so it would appear that Repair is live and hasn't changed from before.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 01:07:58 AM »
No, that was my assumption that this was to change but obviously it hasn't, otherwise I shouldn't have been able to select repair.

By being able to run a repair on eicar.com which isn't in a system or program files folder I wouldn't have thought that it would be in the VRDB, so it would appear that Repair is live and hasn't changed from before.
Oh I see...
So, something still strange in the 'repair' behavior... or it is just a replicant virus coming, being cleaned, coming back again?

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 02:24:44 AM »
hmm still no detection of anything i sent to avast at Thursday  ... well let's hope it will be soon ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 03:16:10 AM »
@ Vlk
No difference in scan speed for me on a Standard Scan without archives, time: 7:37 minutes for total of 5.3GB of scanned files, exactly the same as my last scan to the second.