Author Topic: Extremely strange issues with avast since starting up computer  (Read 2797 times)

REDACTED

Extremely strange issues with avast since starting up computer
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
Hello! I am new to avast, and am using the free version.

Last night everything was going smoothly, as far as I knew. Real time scanning was working as it should be, etc. etc. This morning I rebooted into my mac partition (I'm running windows on bootcamp) and later went back to windows. When I got back on my windows partition, an error popped up...again, and again, and again, and again. Below are the infection details:

URL: http://69.144.75.32/iavs9x/servers.def.vpx
Infection: URL:Mal
Process: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\instup.exe

To be precise, it would pop up and before the notice would finish it's sentence (A threat has been detected), it would pop up again. This would occur whenever automatic updates would start and I can make it happen manually via the update tab. This happened either before or after I started tyring to update a video game I had on my computer, but based on the location of the error and the reason why it is happening I don't think that is the issue.

REDACTED

Re: Extremely strange issues with avast since starting up computer
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:27:10 PM »
P.S., I did a full system scan and found nothing.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
Did you make sure and  completely uninstall the AV program you had before Avast?

If so then the first thing you can try is a repair of Avast:
1) Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Avast! - Change.
2) Repair.
3) Follow the instructions.
4) Reboot.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 10:10:43 PM »
Did not help:

URL: http://69.144.75.32/bag
Infection: URL:Mal
Process: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe

Now this is showing up. Along with the previous error. This is starting to really annoy me. What kind of antivirus labels it's own update software randomly as a threat?

Also, didn't have an antivirus software program on my windows partition before.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
This is starting to get extremely annoying. What could have possibly gone wrong with the program or my computer?

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
Hi all,
thanks for bringing this issue up :)! This really seems like a false positive - we use third party servers, they buy random IPs, and this particular IP was serving malware not too long ago, hence the warning :-[...
Luckily, it is only one of the many IPs that distribute our updates, so only a couple of our users were affected. I am sorry you were one of them :-\.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
How do I fix it?!?!

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
It should be fixed automatically 8)
We are just now facing some technical difficulties relating to moving to a new building, so updates might be a but slower today... I apologize for that :).

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 10:48:45 PM »
That's good, and a relief.

How does it get fixed automatically? It just now did it again. And any time I try to update it comes up with at least a dozen of those errors, though I think occasionally it does download stuff.

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 10:56:23 PM »
Please be patient, there is nothing we can do to make it faster. Once the streaming updates are working again, you will receive a fix automatically ;)