Author Topic: Disable automatic e-mail footer?  (Read 14092 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Disable automatic e-mail footer?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »
Blazer,

it would not make any sense if a message is scanned while someone is still working on it.
That means the mail only gets scanned upon submitting or saving.
Only after the mail is scanned the correct message can be inserted.

And as has been explained, it is really easy to disable the insertion of a message.
Just be glad that avast now also can scan webmail.

Ofcourse you can (and are free) to get a other av.
But they are doing the same (or soon will do so).

Best thing to do is starting to learn how things are working.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »
Changing the e-mail that I send without letting me see the changes is a really dastardly thing to do.  All of a sudden my outgoing Gmail messages have that Avast signature, and the signature is not visible to me until after the message is saved or sent.

Looks like it's time for me to start paying for anti-virus, and not Avast.

As this topic states there is nothing to stop you changing the avast settings. Easier and cheaper than paying for a new anti-virus solution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 05:32:08 PM »
Personal opinion (as usual): mail footer can be disabled (and perhaps it would be the same for webmail footer if not already done).
So, if you don't like them, uncheck the options.
But, are you ashamed to use Avast?
For me, on contrary, let the footer there: I'm proud of being an Avast user :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 07:25:27 PM »
This was the first occasion that avast had introduced the capacity to scan webmail and insert scanned note using the Web Shield, previously it was only the Mail Shield that could do it for standard email clients. The omission was that fact that this could only be changed in the Mail Shield settings.

I would rather doubt senior management would have a detailed in depth knowledge of how everything is done within the program, that is really a failing of QA, who should have picked this up in testing. Not to mention the beta build users (of whom I was one of very many) and I don't use web mail, so never came across this issue.

I agree - my point was actually that some decision-maker, either junior or senior, must have decided that the software should start inserting a "note" in webmail.  This same decision-maker (possibly with input from others, as you suggest) should have also decided to provide a reliable way to turn this behavior off.

It is interesting that the "note" does not explicitly state that the e-mail message has been scanned - mine simply stated (before I turned it off ;)) that the computer from which the message was sent is protected by Avast.

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
Changing the e-mail that I send without letting me see the changes is a really dastardly thing to do.  All of a sudden my outgoing Gmail messages have that Avast signature, and the signature is not visible to me until after the message is saved or sent.

The Mail Shield (for POP, IMAP, and the like) has actually been doing this to messages for years.  It would have been nice if they had provided a summary of new features when updating to Avast 2016 and included a warning about the new "note" in webmail.  But as others have already stated, this can be turned off, and in the future turning it off will hopefully be easier.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »
@  Dix Huit
You might want to update to the latest version (just released) as that also has the option in the avastUI > Settings > General > Enable avast email signature (disabled on mine by default, not sure if that is inheriting my previous settings).

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179855.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 09:37:31 PM »
@  Dix Huit
You might want to update to the latest version (just released) as that also has the option in the avastUI > Settings > General > Enable avast email signature (disabled on mine by default, not sure if that is inheriting my previous settings).

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179855.0

Thanks, I always like to stay up-to-date.  I have managed to disable the webmail "note" on the current version thanks to the information provided in this discussion :).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
You're welcome.