Author Topic: Avast keeps triggering Bluescreens on my computer, is there a way to fix this?  (Read 4747 times)

REDACTED

Really not sure if this is the best place to post this but giving it a try.

I've had bluescreens for the past week or two, I didn't really know what to do about it until Avast's name came up in the minidump files; Yesterday's bluescreen (Where the Avast name came up) did something to break the program as it loaded, just refused to turn on any of the shields, even after like four restarts I first noticed this about 2pm.

I managed to uninstall it eventually, though took about two-three hours - In this time I have to say I had no bluescreens, crashes or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL / SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION things pop up, longest I have to say I've managed to go without a crash or bluescreen of some sort.

I re-installed (I've always only ever had the free version) and no problems over the last four-five hours, I thought the problem was fixed.

But then hey-ho, this. (see attachment)

Is there anything I can do about this? Seems Avast is the culprit behind all of these crashes.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
What OS/SP ?
What exact version of avast ?
Any other security (related) software installed ? (or was there)

REDACTED

I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro.

It's the free version on update 151201-1, I re-downloaded it earlier from the site but before this bluescreen crash (About 5-6 hours), I'm 100% positive I did get it from the Avast site so I'm sure It's not bloatware such as Cnet or so.

I have never really had any other than that installed, I did have Malware bytes though I've not had it installed since resetting my computer about a few weeks ago - I was thinking it might just be conflict between Avast and the built-in Windows Defender program.

REDACTED

Here's all the Minidump files I've managed to collect over the last few days if anybody wants to have a look at them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1b8adss215wvjs6/Minidump%20%282%29.zip?dl=0

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Hi zthomaswhitworthz :)

Follow this procedure : https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB33#idt_01

- In step 7 select "Full dumps".
- Don't make a ticket, but post the Support Package File ID in your next reply.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

Will do! Apologies for the wait it took me a while to look through it.

I've got the file ID listed as LZROD (I think that's the correct thing I'm looking at after clicking generate)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Ok, thank you. I will put this forward :)

Greetz, Red.

Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

Thank you! :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
151201-1 is the vps version, not the avast version.
If you are not using the latest version, I suggest to perform a clean installation with the latest version.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179656.0

REDACTED

Ah, that makes sense. Which is the difference between the two? I've always had no issues with the vps version for the six or seven years I've been on the internet, should I uninstall to switch to that, or for the moment anyway switch to another antivirus until this issue is sorted?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
vps = virus database, what avast can detect

I still suggest to perform a clean installation of the latest avast version.
Several problems with avast/Windows 10 have been solved in it.

REDACTED

Hate to sound a bit of a dunce but would this new version be different in the sense that it won't detect and fix viruses, or does it really act the same sort of thing? I've never been hugely computer literate (I don't even know if that's the word) but I'm trying to get my head around it.

Will do - I've downloaded the correct file, I've just got to uninstall my current one then start installing that.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Could also be a remote possibilty that you are gliding down into a hardware driven situation. How old is the hardware, when did you last cleansed it, what temps are you experiencing, how is your graphical card functioning?
I had a similar problem once and eventually I had to launch the OS from a second drive as one had gone bunkers. RAM problems then could be a first indicator.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

Possibly, I had a microsoft rep help me out over on the Microsoft Community forums I believe it is a driver issue, though once I have eliminated all possibilities driver wise I'll start looking at is it is a hardware issue.

I had bought my system (Alienware x51 R1) preowned off a seller about Febuary so roughly 11ish months ago though I had windows files dating back to 2013, it's ran completely fine up to about last week then I kept getting Display driver has crashed errors, then bluescreens. I cleaned it just yesterday thoroughly, checked the ram disks, wires and everything. I've ran through temps and I get about 30-40C idle (depending how warm the house is) but around a safe 70C-80C whilst gaming, the GTX 660 cut off point is about 97C I've never seen it go higher than 83C in the last week.

My GPU seems to be running superb outside the crashes, they're a lot less frequent as say three-four days ago (Only one crash today), I've got a stock Nvidia GTX 660 latest drivers (I cleaned installed about three times to see if it was perhaps a issue with the driver) - I tested Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Shogun 2: Total War, Alien Isolation, even the new Star Wars Battlefront (among like 10-20 other games) they all run completely good on my settings playing up to about 2-3 hours without issues, then of course I get bluescreened.

Hmm, If this is a hardware issue which I doubt so I'll have to consider doing that. I've ran a memory test and they seem healthy, I checked multiple times and they are correctly attached too.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:27:28 AM by zthomaswhitworthz »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Just a hunch of mine to rule that one out then and now you can switch to the software RAM issues that may have caused the particular BSODs. And then you have to narrow it down to what causes it. That is the scheme in front of you now. ;)

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!