Author Topic: Ten Commandments  (Read 20241 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Ten Commandments
« on: December 10, 2005, 08:49:47 PM »
Just a little something to keep in mind, going into the new year.

1. Thou shalt not buy merchandise found in pop-up ads or spam.
   2. Thou shalt not post thy email address, phone number, address or social security number to the internet, nor shalt thou post anyone else's.
   3. Thou shalt not forget to update thy Windows every second Tuesday.
   4. Thou shalt not connect to the internet without installing an antivirus, nor shalt thou begin a scan without checking for updates.
   5. Thou shalt not connect to the internet without installing a firewall.
   6. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's credit card number, nor his bank routing number, nor his social security number.
   7. Thou shalt not enter thy credit card number without seeing the tiny padlock icon on thy status bar.
   8. Thou shalt not reply to the email from the Nigerian banker.
   9. Thou shalt not forward chain letters to thy friends and family.
  10. Thou shalt not use "password" as thy password, nor thy birthday, nor thy children's names.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/dec10.php#tenlaws

Else thou shalt verily be smitten by calamity:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 09:01:37 PM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Ten Commandments
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:04:12 AM »
oh and the 11th Commandment:

Thy shalt only use Mac OS X
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:45:38 PM »
Bump...

Our Mac is trying to sell their OS again...  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 03:42:13 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 05:56:14 PM »
No, the 11th Commandment (or earlier) is don't browse, read email or use any program connect to the internet whilst logged on as a user with Administrator Rights (unless it is an absolute requirement, like windows update, etc.).

Whilst browsing or collecting email, etc. if you get infected then the malware by default inherits the same permissions that you have for your user account. So if the user account has administrator rights, the malware has administrator rights and can reap havoc. With limited rights the malware can't put files in the system folders, create registry entries, etc. This greatly reduces the potential harm that can be done by an undetected or first day virus, etc.

Check out the link to DropMyRights (in my signature below) - Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator. This obviously applies to those NT based OSes that have administrator settings, winNT, win2k, winXP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 07:36:07 PM »
Ekhhmm i feel perfectly safe as an admin user(which i am)..... My 11th Commandment would be: if you're so worried about security switch to Linux
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 09:35:10 PM by ..::ReVaN::.. »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 09:13:41 PM »
Revan, Linux is great but some users here might not be quite advaned enough to know how to compile their own programs.

Sasha: Yea im trying 8)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 09:23:16 PM »
Revan, Linux is great but some users here might not be quite advaned enough to know how to compile their own programs.

Yes but you can't beat the price can you.... Besides if you don't know anything about windows or computers why not just go on linux you'll have to learn the basics in any way right?   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 09:26:34 PM »
@ revan
I'm perfectly happy as and admin user, since you know know nothing about me I find the sucker comment offensive. Hell you don't even know if I'm using Linux (dual boot) or have used Linux and chosen to use windows.

I'm sure no Linux user with any idea about security would contemplate browsing the internet whilst logged on as root. As rare as Linux malware is should the user be browsing whilst logged on as root, they would in effect be handing root privileges to any malware that did manage to get loaded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 09:28:28 PM »
Yea price is great, even better is that it works on both x86 and PowerPC systems

DavidR: Good point.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 09:34:42 PM »
@ revan
I'm perfectly happy as and admin user, since you know know nothing about me I find the sucker comment offensive. Hell you don't even know if I'm using Linux (dual boot) or have used Linux and chosen to use windows.

I'm sure no Linux user with any idea about security would contemplate browsing the internet whilst logged on as root. As rare as Linux malware is should the user be browsing whilst logged on as root, they would in effect be handing root privileges to any malware that did manage to get loaded.

Sorry DavidR i didn't mean to call you a sucker actually i have to remove that word cause it got copy pasted(Firefox giving me some problems, don't ask)... Ofcourse you're right but if you're so paranoid about security and are not into gaming i don't see why not go to linux.You can still dual boot right?BTW i'm not buying this DropMyRights stuff for a minute.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 10:00:07 PM »
I'm sure no Linux user with any idea about security would contemplate browsing the internet whilst logged on as root.
For sure... Dual boot, Linux never browse here as root  :)
The best things in life are free.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 10:05:31 PM »
I would just like to add that i am not browsing as a root in Linux and i never did Tech....David was just making a point....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 10:05:49 PM »
Not paranoid about security as you would know if you had read many of my post with Polonus, where I actually make the same point about going so far with security that it makes having a computer and accessing the internet pointless.

I'm not asking you to buy DropMyRights, have you even read the information on it and do you understand how it works?
It is a relatively simple precaution so you can continue to user your regular user account with admin rights, click on the shortcut to start the browser with limited rights, need admin rights close the program and open it normally unrestricted. No have to switch to limited user account to achieve the same thing.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 10:13:29 PM »
Just a remark for FwF,

I know that "The Eleventh Commandment" is one of the better
dark strong beers on the continent, it is next to "Forbidden Fruit". OK a side remark, getting back on topic. A lot of things can be solved just using common sense, and a couple of simple security measures taken: drop your rights, update and upgrade, make your configuration secure as seen to browser and mail client, watch your passwords, analyse your surf and download tendencies. Then you have tackled a lot of first step security pitfalls.

polonus
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:17:53 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 10:23:44 PM »
Not paranoid about security as you would know if you had read many of my post with Polonus, where I actually make the same point about going so far with security that it makes having a computer and accessing the internet pointless.

I'm not asking you to buy DropMyRights, have you even read the information on it and do you understand how it works?
It is a relatively simple precaution so you can continue to user your regular user account with admin rights, click on the shortcut to start the browser with limited rights, need admin rights close the program and open it normally unrestricted. No have to switch to limited user account to achieve the same thing.

David yes you're right i haven't read it and i thought this meant using different accounts(i only want one account on my PC) but i will read it as soon as i catch some spare time and i'll let you know what i think about it...