Author Topic: Active Protection services won't stay off  (Read 3630 times)

Offline rednoise0

Active Protection services won't stay off
« on: December 02, 2015, 12:46:37 AM »
I only want the File Protection service to be resident. I do not want Mail or Web shield running, so I turn their little sliders to "Off" and choose the "Stop Permanently" option. Fine and dandy for a few days up to a week or so when I find that those options have turned themselves on again with no action on my part. Why? How can I make them stay off?

Windows XP SP3
Avast Free ver. 11.1.2241

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: Active Protection services won't stay off
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 01:10:46 AM »
Hi rednoise0, welcome to the forum :)

I dont think we are related, although your username suggests differently ;)
You can simply remove the modules you don't use/need :

1) Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Avast - Change.
2) Change.
3) Uncheck module(s).
4) Continue.
5) Reboot.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:14:18 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 01:15:12 AM »
There is nothing to stop you doing a custom install and only selecting the modules you want.

Now you have gone past that stage, there is nothing to stop you uninstalling the modules you don't want. Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > avast antivirus > Change - from this next window you can uncheck the two modules you don't want.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rednoise0

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 01:47:53 AM »
OK, thank you both, that answers how to turn the services off for good, although it's a bit more drastic than I had hoped - I might want to turn them on occasionally. But I'd really like to know why they do that. I'm almost certain this didn't happen with Avast Free 2015 but only started with the 2016 version. I don't see any other complaints about this, so is it something peculiar to my system, or has nobody else noticed it, or do they just live with it? I don't like this behavior - user options should stay where the user wants them, especially when the program give no indication that it intends to later alter them whenever it feels like it with no warning.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 01:58:36 AM »
Hi rednoise0 :)

About the why I don't have an answer.
But you could update to Avast 2016.11.1.2245 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179855.0 and test again.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline rednoise0

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »
About the why I don't have an answer.
But you could update to Avast 2016.11.1.2245 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179855.0 and test again.

I thought I checked earlier today, before I posted, and I didn't see an update, so maybe it just came online? Anyway I'll do it. This might confirm one of my suspicions that the services get turned on whenever I update the program.

I'll report back what happens.

Offline rednoise0

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:44:15 AM »
I thought I checked earlier today, before I posted, and I didn't see an update, so maybe it just came online? Anyway I'll do it. This might confirm one of my suspicions that the services get turned on whenever I update the program.

I'll report back what happens.

OK, I just updated to ver. 11.1.2245... and yep, sure enough, the Mail Shield and Web Shield that I had "permanently" turned off earlier are now turned back on.

I do not like this behavior. I guess I'll have to resort to the brute force method and actually uninstall those components. I don't think that should be necessary.

Maybe this is an XP thing? I haven't noticed it happening on my Windows 7 computers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
Rather depends on how you updated, if you did an install over the top or a clean install shields may well be enabled.
I suggest that you do as I suggested an uninstall the elements you don't need/want. Not really a brute force method, takes less than a minute to complete on my XP system.

Personally if I'm doing a clean or install over the top of an existing installation I do a custom install. That way you get what you want and no surprises.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rednoise0

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 06:44:29 AM »
Rather depends on how you updated, if you did an install over the top or a clean install shields may well be enabled.
I suggest that you do as I suggested an uninstall the elements you don't need/want. Not really a brute force method, takes less than a minute to complete on my XP system.

Personally if I'm doing a clean or install over the top of an existing installation I do a custom install. That way you get what you want and no surprises.

I didn't do an update from a downloaded install file, I accepted the in-place update from the running program's "Update" menu. I guess that would be equivalent to an "over the top" installation in your terms, except you aren't presented with any options to customize the update.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »
OK, I just updated to ver. 11.1.2245... and yep, sure enough, the Mail Shield and Web Shield that I had "permanently" turned off earlier are now turned back on.

Maybe this is an XP thing? I haven't noticed it happening on my Windows 7 computers.
No this is not WinXP specific.  I did an update on my Win7 box about 45 minutes ago, and I was notified of the change by Firefox, which asked me to allow a new add-on to be installed.
Like you, I use the update function from within the task bar, my last "manual" install from a downloaded package was years ago.  Back then, Avast came without modules like password protection, browser cleanup, home network security, and I was never asked if I want those.

Guys, this is BAD!  Changing settings without user request is poor behaviour.  Changing settings without even a notice to the user is an absolute no-go for security software.

Regards,
  Stefan

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »

I didn't do an update from a downloaded install file, I accepted the in-place update from the running program's "Update" menu. I guess that would be equivalent to an "over the top" installation in your terms, except you aren't presented with any options to customize the update.

During beta testing and standard program updates I often do a manual UI update and so far it hasn't enabled the Mail Shield signature. This was also the same for modules that I hadn't installed previously, my setup remained the same, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what is going on.