Author Topic: Anyone know why update definitions suddenly started working (XP and Avast 6)  (Read 2056 times)

Offline dickmccle

I have been running Avast 6 on Windows XP. Several months ago the automatic definitions stopped working as noted in the forums here due to some type of memory stack issue supposedly within XP. I had set aside a few days to download the latest Avast and to try to fix a security certificate issue in the latest version of Avast to keep Eudora Email working properly (as also noted in these forums.)

All of a sudden today, the auto updates started working again with no changes on my part to the computer or Avast. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know why the update loading suddenly started working again? Did Avast change something in the Virus Definitions package????

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
avast 6 ?

Offline dickmccle

I don't fix things that aren't broken and the latest Avast will not work with Eudora due to a change by Avast in security certificate handling.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
The latest avast version sure does work with Eudora.
No support anymore for avast 6.

Offline dickmccle

Sorry. The latest Avast will NOT work with Eudora as there is a security issue that is complicated and difficult to fix. See: https://support.tigertech.net/eudora-cert

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
There is nothing to fix, only setting up things correctly.
Simply disable SSL/TLS scanning and it will work.