Author Topic: Softonic Fake Outdated software warning  (Read 9852 times)

crapware

Softonic Fake Outdated software warning
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
So I was trying to install RED (Remove Empty Directories) from Sourceforge...
While I was about to save it a giant AVAST popup appears:

"You are trying to install outdated software!" Softonic will help you download the "latest" version.

Aware of the high bullshit factor (since where would Softonic find a newer version????Sourceforge is the SOURCE!)
I agreed to download the "Softonic" Installer proposed by AVAST.
And guess what?
I downloads the EXACT same version but also wants to add some crapware also.

I have been using and installing AVAST for 3+ years. I use the free version but people I have installed it have bought
the full version. But with the latest GrimeFighter antics and now this... I guess it wont be AVAST from now on.
It's all well and good to OFFER, you have to make money but DONT SHOVE it down my throat at the first opportunity!!!!

AdrianH

Re: Softonic Fake Outdated software warning
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »
So I was trying to install RED (Remove Empty Directories) from Sourceforge...
While I was about to save it a giant AVAST popup appears:

"You are trying to install outdated software!" Softonic will help you download the "latest" version.

Aware of the high bullshit factor (since where would Softonic find a newer version????Sourceforge is the SOURCE!)
I agreed to download the "Softonic" Installer proposed by AVAST.
And guess what?
I downloads the EXACT same version but also wants to add some crapware also.

I have been using and installing AVAST for 3+ years. I use the free version but people I have installed it have bought
the full version. But with the latest GrimeFighter antics and now this... I guess it wont be AVAST from now on.
It's all well and good to OFFER, you have to make money but DONT SHOVE it down my throat at the first opportunity!!!!

What version of avast are you running?  Avast team said they had suspended the Softonic updater because of complaints.

Offline havildar

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
I don't understand why it is that Avast Online Security doesn't provide a red circle warning about the Softonic website where, unless you're very careful, you will be downloading a browser hijacker as well as the software program you thought you were going to get ... in my case the VLC Media Player.

Firefox, IE and Chrome were all trashed by Softonic Websearch. Neither SuperAnti-spyware nor Malwarebytes would remove it, but this from Malware Tips was very useful: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-softonic-web-search/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:40:20 PM by havildar »
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

Davy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »
With Softonic we need to be careful, very careful and to be fair any other sites offering software!!

There is a couple of sites imitating Softonic offering 'Dodgy' downloads, I have come across two sites around February, I reported this to  Softonic Admin and they confirmed they were fake, their admin said they would contact their ISP and put a complaint in and have them shut down......

if this has been done I know not, you need to check the URL and the links to be on the safe side.

I can't say if the files these two 'dodgy' sites offered were virus or malware ridden (you can bet), but some was surely 'cracked, I nearly fell for it, their pages was so convincing, the only give away was the links.

Do check the URL and links first!

Dave

Offline havildar

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:30:47 AM »
I think the problem here is not with fake Softonic sites, but with Softonic itself and the marketing/ advertising route they have chosen to go down in order to make money, regardless of the consequences.

I would suggest steering well clear of Softonic (both real and fake) is the best way to avoid hours of frustrating work to remove their unwanted malware ... nice if Avast and/ or WOT would pay attention to the reports users who have been caught out are sending them, though. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:46:13 AM by havildar »
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

crapware

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
I do not recall what version of AVAST I had since I unistalled it and I am now test driving BitDefender on my home PC.
I had program updates set to automatic so if there was a newer version it should have been downloaded. What I
find surreal/absurd is that  - my AV - is suggesting I should download stuff from a site that is KNOWN to use Adware/PUPs with
all its downloads!
And if somehow Softonic did have a newer version of the app I was about to install then hell I'd go for it and just
skip the crapware on install. But it was also misleading since no newer version existed!

Anyway, I just needed an install and forget solution for non-technical users which AVAST is not any more.

Offline havildar

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »
I understand your point of view and to some extent share it. I note also, that Softonic is still offering a free download of Avast antivirus but it doesn't mention, of course, that unless you choose 'customise' for the installation you will end up with the Websearch toolbar as well, that will put your own browser out of action.

It's no good saying, 'Oh well, you should have been more careful about what you were downloading', when you are not specifically asked if you want Softonic Websearch. The question is put in a highly misleading form ... to tick a box that says 'Allow this program access to the web for updates' ... not the program you are trying to download, that is, but Softonic Websearch, though by the time you've understood that, it's too late.

I'm still convinced Avast is the best antivirus, but this browser hijack thing is not technically-speaking a virus. It is, however, a damned annoying, time-wasting irritation that no reputable company should put about and a timely warning from Avast Online Security would have helped me (and many others) avoid it. 

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
Hi crapware,

thank you for letting us know about this issue. This is apparently bug and it will be fixed today.
We got this file hash as obsolete, even it wasn't true.

Apologize for any inconvenience.

Martin

Suxter

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »
ref from malwaretips,
i can tell,

lord ami

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
I warned about this a while ago when (Avast 2014 Release2?) it was first introduced. I hope it will be fixed really quickly. Haven't seen it since then myself tho.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 06:30:18 AM »
softonic website must be included in a virus database in all antivirus!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »
Franklin,

it is of no use to post in a thread that is dead for over a year.